Prologue ⎯⎯ Icing On The Cake

— prologue: icing on the cake

prologue: icing on the cake

༺♥༻

     Megara crossed her arms, tapping on her forearms with her fingers.  Her fingernails were nowhere near perfect, chipped OPI nail polish in the colour "Darth Vadar" — impulsively painting them at three in the morning last week after binging the Star Wars prequels again.  The gold cuff bracelet that Savannah bought for her created goosebumps as it touched her bare arm.  It wasn't cold out, or else she probably would wear something with a little more coverage than an off the shoulder summer dress.  Of course, it was black, but it was cute — hugged her in all the right places and everything.  

     "What's Bowen doing here?" Megara turned her body to her father — who was having trouble starting up one of the grills — though her head was still turned in the direction of the boy who just walked in.  He would normally stick out like a sore thumb, what with being paler than the palest girl in the family, but Megara's family actually liked Ricky Bowen.

     "Huh?  Honestly, I uh, I don't know," her dad looked up briefly before shrugging and then turning his dark eyes back to the grill.  "Your Nina probably invited him."

     "You're just mad because you guys actually get along," like magic, her Nina appeared with a sympathetic smile.  "Even if you pretend like you're enemies.  Unless you really are.  I don't know, I can't keep up anymore.  Maybe I'll never understand you two."

     Okay, say you're right?  Doesn't make Ricky Bowen any less annoying!

     Megara rolled her eyes.  She loved her Nina, but she grew tired of the questions.  "This is just the icing on the cake," she growled before walking towards a table full of relatives to busy herself with.  Her dad didn't add anything else — Megara knew there was a time and place for everything and no matter how much she hated Ricky Bowen, she'd get along with him for the sake of a good time.

     The day quickly turned into evening.  Her twin cousins were still far too young to play basketball, so they watched Megara and a great uncle take turns throwing a couple of hoops as the sun went down.  "Ah, shit!" he cursed, watching the ball go into the basket swiftly.  "Looks like Papa Dion has done it again!" he laughed, sticking his tongue out as her Nina laughed and clapped, before advising he sit down soon.

     Megara placed her hands on her hips, sticking her tongue in her cheek as she watched Papa Dion brag about his win.  "Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna get some drink," she turned on the heel of her sandal and headed for the table with the pitcher of punch was.  Ricky stood on the other side, casually sipping from his own cup.  Surprisingly, nothing snarky or witty came to mind.

     "I saw what you did," Ricky said.

     Megara focused her gaze on the cup in her hand, not the curly-haired boy who was across from her.  "Did what?"