006 ⎯⎯ Off Book

— act one, scene six: off book

act one, scene six: off book

༺♥༻

     The trio decided to meet up at Big Red's house first thing in the morning to go over Ricky's brilliant new idea.  However, his two confidants weren't exactly... vibing with it.  

     "No.  Absolutely not," Big Red shook his head.  He was sitting in a chair in front of the TV in the basement while Megara sat back on the sofa, braiding a random strand of her dark hair out of boredom.

     "Okay, I know it's crazy, dude, but she has to see me in a whole new light."

     "Here we go again," Megara said, crossing her arms over her belly.  She slouched in a low-cut orange and white striped shirt with black jeans. 

     "You hate musicals," Big Red stated the obvious.

     "I don't hate musicals.  I just think it's weird when people, like, burst into song in the middle of the street," Ricky defended.  Megara scoffed, earning herself a glare.

     "Dude.  That's a musical," Big Red said.  Megara nodded along.

     "Okay, look.  I'm auditioning for this thing tomorrow, and nothing is gonna stop me."

     "Oh, except that there's something that could," Megara tilted her head in a sassy manner and kicked her feet up on the bean bag on the floor.

     Big Red nodded.  "Do you even know the plot of High School Musical?"

     "Of course!  It's about Zac Efron dancing with a basketball," Ricky shrugged.

     "It's not about Zac Efron dancing with a basketball," Megara groaned.

     "It's about the character, Troy, having to choose between being true to his friend, Chad, or following his heart with Gabriella," Big Red added with a smile.

     "Why do you know so much about High School Musical?"

     "They, play it on a loop at my allergist's office.  The point is, you're out of your league here, man.  All right?  You can't pull this off."

     "You don't even have the hair for it," Megara added.  Ricky tilted his head.  "Okay, I'm sorry, but even if you audition, it doesn't mean you'll get the lead!"

     "You should tell Savannah that."

     "You should stop changing the subject," Megara said as they both squinted their eyes, facing off.  "You wouldn't do it."

     "Oh yeah?" Ricky said, instantly reminding Megara of when they were younger and everything was a competition.  "Wanna bet?"

     Megara stood up, uncrossing her arms.  "You'll either chicken out before you get the chance to audition, or you'll drop out when you're cast and things get too hard," she walked over to Ricky.  Big Red watched the two with wide eyes but didn't make any attempt to stop them.  Megara took a deep breath, looking Ricky in his eyes.  For once, neither one looked away awkwardly.  He didn't roll his eyes or turn away.  He waited for what she was going to say.  "Are you sure?"