012 ⎯⎯ Random

— act two, scene two: random

act two, scene two: random

༺♥༻

     "So... you two?"

     Rita and Savannah sat across from Megara and Ricky with suspicious faces.  While Savannah sat back with her arms crossed, Rita leaned on the tabletop with her elbows.  Megara and Ricky's legs were smashed together as they started getting slices from their pizza, trying to play off like they casually did this every week.

     Ricky nervously chuckled as Megara wrapped her fingers around a greasy slice and stuffed it through her mouth.  He hadn't expected so soon that he would be faced with Megara's two best friends — which said a lot because Megara wasn't friends with anybody.  Like, hardly anybody had ever taken the time to get to know her and be part of her circle.  And now, for the first time since they were children, Ricky had to make himself part of her circle again.

     "Yeah, um..." he looked to Megara for help completing his sentence.

     "It's new," Megara said with her mouthful, reaching for a cup of soda on the table to wash down the giant bite she had just taken.  Despite the messiness, and Megara's seriousness, he smiled.

     Nevertheless, Savannah and Rita weren't impressed.  Matter of fact, Savannah looked incredibly disgusted.  "How guys still wanna date you after they see you eat is beyond me."

     Rita waved her index finger between them, decorated with a large emerald ring.  "You're telling me that after a decade of throwing balled-up paper at each other's heads and glaring at each other in the hallways—"

     "Megara also threw him into a locker one time," Savannah added.

     Megara groaned, swallowing everything harshly.  "That was an accident!  I was skating through the halls and I literally didn't think anyone was gonna remember that part, to be fair," she raised her eyebrows as she looked at Ricky apologetically.

     Ricky patted her fist on the table with his right hand as he extended his left arm to fall over her shoulders.  "I know, it's okay."

     Rita couldn't have looked any more confused, whereas Savannah just looked tired.  The blonde went and grabbed a slice of pizza for herself as Rita continued.  "But all of that is behind you now?"

     "Come on, Ricky's not so bad.  He defended me from Amelia a couple of times, remember that?" Megara said, tapping her nails against the soda cup in front of her.  "Maybe deep down we've been friends all along?"

     Ricky, eyes trained on her while she was talking, nodded in agreement.  "Yeah," he added.  "Megara's even helping me rehearse for the musical, and I've been invited to her family's parties for years so maybe it was inevitable that we were gonna find our way back to each other?"