⋆ Chapter 9 ⋆

IX. • °

"Josie, wake up kiddo..."

I woke up to my dad tugging at the bottom of my blanket.

"Dad?" I wiped my eyes slowly trying to focus my blurry vision on him. " What's going on?"

"We have to go, get your shoes on, and come downstairs now." He said walking away from the edge of my bed and quickly heading towards the door.

"Wha-"

"I can't do questions right now Josie...please get your things and come downstairs move quickly."He said before hurrying out of the room, I heard as his footsteps scurried down the stairs.

I sat up still adjusting my eyes to the soft lights in my room. I was overcome with confusion, and I could tell something was wrong, he was too anxious and that wasn't like him. I rubbed my eyes one last time before scanning the room for my shoes. I looked around and up at the top of my closet and luckily they were on my top shelf.

I grabbed them and I slipped them on. Then I grabbed a random jacket that was lying around on my floor. I grabbed my keys off my nightstand quickly and headed for my bedroom door.I didn't know where we were going or what was going on but suddenly my thoughts switched on my mom. Where was she...was she still at work?

With my jacket and keys in my hand, I ran downstairs as fast as I could. My dad was already in the car by this time so I locked up the house and headed to the car.

 As soon as I got in the car, he turned the key in the ignition switch and started up the engine taking off down the street. I watched as the trees quickly passed us by until we got to the main road. My heart was starting to beat outside of my chest now, and I couldn't refrain from worrying.

"Dad I know you said no questions, but I'm really freaking out...where is mom is she okay?"

"I...I don't know." He said questionably.

My eyes shot over at him as he said this. I looked at him for what seemed like forever searching...looking to see any sign, any sign that he may have been joking. I was hoping we were just going to pick Mom up from work and everything was going to be a bawl of laughter when we got her in the car. I was yearning for her to tell us about her stressful day at work like she always does.

But the longer we drove...the more I was starting to realize something was visibly wrong. He looked flustered like he had just gotten out of bed and I couldn't help but notice that he looked scared to death.

And that's when I knew something wasn't right.

As my eyes moved away from him they landed on the dash and I saw the time read 9:30 pm. That couldn't have been right, my mom had gotten off of work at 8:00 pm she would have been home by now.

My thoughts were interrupted as we soon arrived at the destination, and I was in utter shock to see that it was the hospital. My dad parked at the front entrance and ran to the front doors, I followed behind quickly until we reached the front desk.

"I'm here for Sandra Carter...I'm her husband Milton Carter where is she is she alright?"

The woman looked up from her computer and nodded. She picked up a phone and dialed it.