48 | Rather Be My Partner

That night I return to the dorms one last time. Christina, Tris, and I are all going to pack what little belongings we have up. It's quite therapeutic because Chris keeps finding things that remind her of our time together.

"God, I'm so nervous for tomorrow," She holds the dress she was folding to her chest, "What do you think will happen?" I shrug, "You're going to go to leadership training, aren't you?"

I take a deep breath and zip my bag shut, "I think so yea. I'll see in the morning, I guess."

"Please do it, if anyone should be a leader, I think it should be you–no offense to you, Tris."

Tris holds a hand up, "None taken. I agree, actually." That catches me off guard. "I think your birthplace would bring a good perspective into our faction."

"Our faction, listen to you." Chris teases and I smile as I shove a sock back into the hole in my back. "We really did it, huh?"

"We did," I say, "We really did." It's all becoming too real, way too quickly for my liking. I don't want to see other people every day. I want to see Chris every day, she's like my daily dose of happiness. She never fails to make me smile or laugh.

Tris and I... we're different. It's harder to get along with her because of where we come from. But we've both grown a lot over the course of initiation. It's kind of mind-boggling for me to think about it.

"I'm gonna... drop this all off at uh..." I scratch the back of my head awkwardly.

"SAY IT!" Chris yells, "Say you're taking your things to your boyfriend's apartment. And say that your boyfriend is Four!" She shakes that same dress in front of her as I turn red.

My bag sits on my bed, "I'm taking this stuff to Four's." I have to be careful not to say his real name around them. "But, if you guys go to the pit, I'll be there."

The grin on Christina's face is frightening, "With your boyfriend, Four!" She sings, laughing at herself. Even Tris laughs and soon, so am I. I like being a teenage girl every once in a while.

"Chris didn't let me hear the end of it," I say as I walk into Tobias' apartment, my bag on my back. "She begged for me to even say that you're my boyfriend!" I explain, laughing at the thought.

Tobias takes my bag and sits it against the counter, "Boyfriend, huh?"

My smile falters, "Well, yea? I assume after all that's happened we're... dating?" My voice falls off at the end–anxiety suddenly consuming me whole. "I didn't assume wrong did I?"

"Oh!" His expression changes completely, "That's not what I meant at all!" Tobias laughs for only a second, "No, I just... I meant that the word 'boyfriend' feels a little... wrong?"

"How do you mean?" I yank at a loose string on my shirt, wanting him to explain for me to realize I panicked over nothing.

"It's... weak? It doesn't feel like it covers how much we uh–" He scratches at the back of his neck, his face turning red. "How much we care about one another." Tobias' words blend together into a mess and I snort at his embarrassment.

He looks like he's in pain and I can't help but feel a bit bad. "I get it, what we have is stronger. But it's easier to say boyfriend, or girlfriend than... anything else really. Unless you'd rather be my partner, Tobias?"

"That feels better," He says, still blushing.

I move to stand in front of him, enjoying seeing his cheeks have some color in them. "You blushing seems so unreal," I touch his cheek and then kiss him lightly. It's just a peck, "Let's go, huh? I'd love to meet drunk Tobias again."

He groans, "I'm never going to live that down, am I?"

"Nope," He gets ready and I begin going through my things. I fold my scarves neatly, filling the empty dresser he has with those and my clothes. I find the dress from visiting day and decide to wear it again.

The sound of running water lets me know Tobias is showering–which is something he does so often. I change into the dress and secure my hair into a low bun. I'm pinning stray hairs down when he exits the bathroom.

His eyes immediately look at anything else and I almost want him to see me like this just because he's respectful. "I forgot a shirt," Oh. My eyes flit down to his chest.

There's definition under the softness of his belly. Hair grows at the bottom of his stomach and it makes me smile, I have hair there too. Tobias seems apprehensive to turn his back to me but then I notice a flicker of black crawling up behind his neck.

"What's that on your neck?" I ask.

Tobias' hand finds the spot I'm referring to despite not looking at me–I've all but forgotten about my hijab. "Tattoo." He's staring at the floor as I approach slowly.

"Can I see?" He nods slowly and turns around for me. I gasp at the massive tattoo that covers his entire back.

It's gorgeous–but dangerous. Down his spine are each of the factions' seals. Dauntless, Abnegation, Candor, Erudite, Amity... and then... Fractured. I see ghosts of scars on any skin that hasn't been blacked out. I can tell by the thick lines that Tori did this for him. My hand is reaching out to touch the center of his back before I can stop.

The Fractured tattoo looks so much newer... he must have just gotten it. "Is that what I think it is?" My hand barely brushes over his spine and he shudders. I pull away.

"I got it after I saw yours... ever since getting to know you–I've realized your people deserve a place with the other factions as well."

A tear rolls down my cheek as I press my palm against the Dauntless seal. "It's beautiful. When did you get the rest of it?"

"Few weeks into my initiation. It's one of Tori's original designs."

I wipe away that stray tear and take a deep breath, "Turn around."

"But your ha–" I lightly pull at his arm and he turns.

My hair is neatly combed down into a bun, but I know I look different enough for him to notice. "I think it's fair considering you're half naked," I say with a sly smile.

Tobias shakes his head at me, "Thank you for trusting me."

"You've proven I can. Thank you."