Polite Gentleman

"So can you tell me a little about yourself?"

"Well my name is Gerard Way" came the soft spoken reply. "I don't have too much experience in the motor mechanic trade but it has always been something I've been interested in".

I carried on listening

"I like cars and motorbikes. I've always played around with them with my younger brother and really want to progress further into this field of work"

"Have you ever worked in the motor trade before?" I asked, wondering if this was even a worthy phonecall or just to refuse him immediately.

"I have worked in a garage before but unfortunately the owner passed away and now I'm looking for a new place to continue my journey"

My first impressions of him is that he's very shy and timid. His voice is sweet and quiet. Unlike any I've heard before. The more he speaks, the more I'm intrigued on what he looks like.

"Well we have space for an interview tomorrow if you would like to come and have a better conversation?" I told him. "That way we can get to know you, you can have a look around the garage and see if working here is something that you would like to do"

That sounds great" he piped up enthusiastically.

We talk a little more and arrange for him to come in to the office at 10am tomorrow morning. He sounds excited as he says goodbye and puts down the phone.

I take a sip of my coffee and grab my notepad. I should really make a list of questions to ask him so I have enough details to see if he would be a good asset to the business or not. I don't want to be hiring someone that is no good. I don't think Harry would be thrilled if I hire someone who is useless.

The next day arrives and I'm already prepared with my mug of coffee and my notepad full of questions for Gerard.
I keep checking the clock on the wall to make sure I'm right on time. It would be unprofessional of me to not be organised.

10am arrives and I hear a knock at my door. I stand up and straighten out my top. I can't look untidy with my first impression.
I head over to the door and open it.

"Hello, I'm Gerard. I'm here for the job interview"

A man is standing in my doorway. He's has a smart black suit on with a black shirt underneath. A thin red tie is around his neck and tied neatly.
His hair is dark and brushed to the side.

I step aside and let him in, closing the door behind him

"Take a seat on the chair and we can have a chat" I tell him while giving him a smile. I want him to feel at ease with me.

The seating area in front of my desk has two comfy armchairs. Black leather and deep. I definitely wanted some style to this room when I picked them.

Gerard sinks down into one of the armchairs and crosses his leg over his knee in a slouchy manner.
He has a piece of paper in his hand which I assume is his resume.
He hands it to me. "I take it you would like a look at this" he said.

"Thank you" I smiled. Taking the piece of paper and starting to look at it.

He has customer service experience and vehicle maintenance experience which is a good start. He has a couple of good car business references as previous jobs too which is a bonus. At least I know he's serious about working in the trade.

I carry on reading

He likes drawing and reading comic books. Writing music and poetry and loves coffee

I chuckle as I read that and look up at the man sitting opposite me.

He gives me a nervous smile.

"Coffee huh?" I smirk. "You would fit right in here"

His smile gets bigger as he starts to relax

As I look at him grinning at me, I notice he has a sweet face. His eyes are a mix of hazel and green. Very unusual and quite mesmerising.

"So did you want me to give you a tour?" I ask

"Yes please" he replied excitedly

We both stand up and walk out of the office.
I show him the ramps that he would be working at with the vehicles. Show him the big unit where all the oils, fluids and tools are kept.

I take him over to a desk in the corner of the workshop which has a small laptop and telephone set out.

"This would be your work station. Anything you need to research or phone calls to suppliers can all be done here" I tell him

He gives me a little nod, taking in everything I say

"Now I know you will be excited for this" I laughed

I take him to the small lunch room and show him the coffee machine.

"Here is the golden machine" I say while holding my hands out in a game show way

"That's a good bit of technology" he says with his eyes lighting up

I nod in agreement.

"I recommend the latte macchiato, that's my favourite" I tell him

He smiles back at me. Such a warm friendly smile.

We walk around the garage floor a little more. I show him where all the parts are kept like wiper blades, air filters and any other filters he needs.

We walk back into the office and both sit down on the armchairs again.

I pick up his resume and quickly scan through what I have already read.

"So do you have any questions?" I ask

He looks at me, shakes his head and smiles.

"Well everything seems quite positive from your resume and now meeting you in person"
I grin at him
"I would like to offer you the job here if you want it"

He smiles
"Yes please, that's would be great"

I stand up and hold out my hand.
He mirrors me and does the same.

I put my hand in his, noticing how soft his skin is.

"Welcome to Meadowhall Garage"