A Deep Conversation

The door opened and in walked a man dressed in a white coat, just like my doctor on the womans ward.

I woke up from the sound of his footsteps and looked over to him.

"Good morning, I'm Dr Mansfield. I've been looking after Gerard" he explained.

"He woke up last night, only for a few minutes and then went back to sleep again" I said to him. Hoping any information will be good.

He walked around the bed to where two machines were standing. He takes the paper that is coming out of the printer attached to it and stares at the data, analysing every detail.

He then checks the IV that is attached to Gerard and then writes something on his clipboard.

"He looks like he's doing really well. We will keep up with the painkillers but should be able to sit up soon" explained the doctor. "Also, I think his breathing tube can come out as his lungs seem to be healing well from surgery"

I sigh with relief. Finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

"When will he be fully awake?" When will he be able to come home?" I bombard the doctor with questions.

"He will probably wake up soon. You could help him by talking to him again. As soon as the pain has subsided a little, he will be able to go home and manage his pain and healing from there" answered Dr Mansfield.

"Thank you for everything you have done" I smiled back at him.

The doctor finishes his observations,walks over and slowly takes the air tube out of Gerard's nose and walks out of the room, leaving me and Gerard to ourselves.

I hold his hand again. Giving it a little squeeze.
I'm willing to try anything to wake him up.

I start to talk to him...

"Gerard, it's me. I have been here all night, waiting for you to open your eyes and look at me again. The doctor says that you are going to make a full recovery and you're going to be able to come home soon. I will be able to take care of you at home"

I gaze away from Gerard, still clutching his hand and look out of the window, speaking my thoughts out loud.

"I had a little accident when you did. I passed out due to the overwhelming emotions going through my body. I banged my head pretty bad and I ended up in hospital too. I don't know how long I was unconscious for but I woke up to find myself in the woman's ward. I had a really nice doctor who explained everything and said I was ok to come sit with you. He did tell me something else though"

I pause and look at Gerard. His eyes were still shut.
I look down at our hands clutching together. I carry on talking.

"Gerard, he said that I probably passed out due to all the hormones in my body at the moment. I didn't understand what he was talking about and then he explained that I'm pregnant. I'm pregnant with your child. We are going to have a baby"

I felt a squeeze on my hand. I look up and Gerard's eyes were open.

"Oh Gee you are awake" I wimpered with joy. "I've missed you so much"

Gerard lets out a little cough to clear his throat.
"I'm going to be a father?" He asks

I nod at him. My facial expression not moving. I don't know how he is feeling at the news.
I just stare into his eyes.
I seem the corners of them start to wrinkle. The corners of his mouth start to turn up right.
He's smiling.

"I'm gonna be a daddy" he said. "We are having a baby. This is the best news I could ever imagine".

He tries to move up the bed to sit up but winches in pain..

"Hey, keep still. You are still healing. Don't move too much" I demand him.

I walk and sit on the bed next to him.
I gently lean forward and give him a soft hug. I don't want to squeeze him too tight. He's still in pain.

"I didn't even know I was pregnant. I was worried how you would take the news" I said, tears starting to fill my eyes.

Gerard raises his left hand and places it on my cheek.
"I'm overjoyed babe" he says softly. "I love you so much. I love both of you".

He moves his hand off my cheek and lays it on my stomach. I rest my hand upon his.

Joyful tears start to fill his eyes.

The door opens and Mikey, Frank and Ray walk in.

We both look at them, I wipe my eyes of the water that had built up.

"Is this a happy family?" Laughs Frank

"Very happy" smiles Gerard. "Can you guys help me sit up?"

Ray and Mikey get either side of Gerad and help him up the bed, puffing up his pillows behind him so he is sitting comfortable.

"How is the pain bro?" Asks Mikey.

"It's manageable. Thank god for morphine" he laughs.

"So when are you allowed home?" Asks Ray, sitting himself on the bottom of the bed.

"Doctor said I will probably be able to leave in a couple of days" he grinned. "Then I can get home to my woman and baby"

Frank giggles. "Man I still can't believe we are gonna have a baby in the group. This is just awesome"

Everyone smiles.

We all talk and laugh together until Dr Mansfield comes in and announces that it's past visiting hours.

"Ok dude, we are gonna go home and get some sleep. You need to do that same" Frank says and they gather their jackets off the armchair in the corner.

"I will be going too baby" I say as I kiss Gerard on the lips. "I will be back first thing in the morning and I will bring you grapes"

He laughs and pulls me in for another longer kiss.

"Hey put the woman down" laughs Dr Mansfield. "No heavy lifting for at least two weeks"

I put my forehead on his and smile.
"I love you baby" I say and kiss him again.

"I love you too Princess" he replies.