Chapter 12: The Harbinger of Noise

He collapsed in the grass of a clearing, his talons digging into the dirt. She was dead. She was dead. He'd killed her. She trusted him and he had killed her.

Harbinger.

He reached for his weapon. He momentarily thought of reenacting the ritual seppuku of a samurai...

... but he was not a samurai. He did not deserve a samurai's honorable death.

Harbinger.

His hands shook as he held the hilt. In spite of his will to end his life, his arms locked in place as the blade hovered over his heart.

Harbinger.

'... you will not release me.'

Your release comes with the End.

He tried one last time to plunge the blade in... but the sword barely tapped the fabric of the costume she had crafted for him. The dissonant melody bound his actions too tightly.

Harbinger. Tear the world asunder.

Finally he became aware of why he'd wound up here of all places as he turned and set his eyes upon a small swirling rift from which endless Dark Notes flowed. He rose to his feet and approached it, raising his blade and feeling the power rush from the rift and into himself.

His heart became a conduit of Noise, refining him into the instrument the Noise willed him to become...

"I refuse to stand idly by and let them destroy the Spirit Caller!"

The blonde woman in front of Gakupo appeared unmoved by his outburst. Such fury was unbecoming of a warrior. But every time he thought of Kaito's nearly lifeless body...

"Commander Lily, we cannot allow this travesty to continue! Kaito is... is..."

He caught himself. "... the last Spirit Caller. If they break him, our people shall break with him."

Lily checked around the room. Of course he knew why - speaking such treason could get him Severed. But right now... he knew he would give up everything if he could stop them from letting Kaito die...

"Gakupo."

Finally hearing her speak silenced him. "You're too... emotionally attached... to your charge to think rationally right now. A strong warrior must be dispassionate. Right now, you may make a mistake that could risk his life."

The notes of disappointment snuck into her otherwise solid voice as she made her pronouncement. "In light of your current state, I've no choice but to relieve you of duty."

Gakupo wished to protest, but he knew it would be futile. He might never see Kaito again. He'd come to terms with leaving his feelings unspoken, just so long as he could continue to protect him. Why could he not have stilled his tongue so he might stay at his side?

"Who will you place him under next?" Gakupo asked.

Lily's stern expression softened. "I shall care for him myself. If you're in better shape in a few days, I'll try to have you reinstated. Please... take this time for yourself."

As his commander departed, Gakupo saw no reason to stay in the training halls - he needed a good long flight to clear his head. But as he left for the outside, a hooded Seruva bumped into him. "My apologies..." she said, grasping his right hand.

As she released it, Gakupo felt a piece of parchment slipped inside...

Luka slowly opened her eyes. Her body felt heavy and weak... but she was alive.