Chapter 16: Electric Angel

As Dr. Flower marched into the secure compound, she kept her eyes on her charges. The FX modules, codenamed "Big Sweet," appeared far more temperamental. She'd ensured Mayu relayed orders to them to get them into hibernation again, but the contradiction in orders from "Oliver" clearly bothered them.

There were few people in the facility that could actually take the full fury of Big Al and Sweet Ann on the loose. They were previously the pinnacle in anti-Seruva technology... if one only counted their sheer brute force. The lack of ability to control them proved a dangerous flaw, however. Even killing them proved nearly impossible given their unique mix of organic and cybernetic components.

Relying on the Heart's son to control them proved an even greater hazard. As he'd proven hours before, even the conditional love of his parents proved little force for him. Replicating his voice finally freed the company to make use of the FX modules without relying on the shifting loyalties of a perpetual youth.

But once she got them into hibernation... she could get them implanted and this issue would be dealt with. She hoped she wouldn't experience the same performance downgrade she observed with the self-proclaimed "Herald".

She pulled a phone to her ear, dialing Mayu again. "How close are we to full implementation of the CV units?"

Her partner in science released a disturbing giggle. "We've got more than half of them converted now. I'm saving the best for him of course."

Mayu's eccentric personality aside... the quality of her work couldn't be argued. She may not be gentle with her test subjects... but she remained efficient.

"Have they decided what to do with the Choir Boy yet?"

It wasn't even worth the farce of calling him the Heart's son anymore. Blood relative or not, he'd long ceased to be seen as one. But she still needed to be careful while in earshot of the FX modules.

"We're salvaging him in the morning once we can spare crew. I expect we'll learn a lot about him. What worked, what didn't."

She let out a sigh. "I wish I could inspect the Geminis as closely... grow Seruva that don't need to work in pairs..."

"The Geminis are too critical," Flower reminded her, "If the Seruva are planning war with humanity, they're our best bet. We can get him but... there's a certain number of unknowns."

She marched into her lab, keeping an eye on Big Sweet until she saw them enter hibernation as ordered. She found herself releasing a sigh of relief - even being near them upset her. "I expect we'll receive him within the next few hours."

A man that could call down the wrath of the heavens themselves.

Her scientific mind tingled with elation. If she could succeed in controlling him... nothing could challenge them.

Otherwise... at least she'd be depriving them of their ultimate weapon.

Kaito lay on his side in the grass, holding Miku as if afraid she would be stolen from him. She still had trouble grasping that the blue haired boy she'd taken into her home, vowed to protect, and slowly fell in love with... was the boy that saved her life all of those long years ago.

The person she'd vowed to find, to sing to, to reassure that his brave rescue had meant something.

Kiyoteru had inspired her to build a band, but her search for the fate of the winged boy drove her to create Vocaloids. To find just the right people to stand with her and her reason and sing until he had to hear her. To use the reasons in their own hearts to motivate them to work as hard as they had to so four dreams could come true instead of just one.