11

TYPICALLY ON THANKSGIVING night, I'd order the same frozen dinner the cafeteria serves yearly

TYPICALLY ON THANKSGIVING night, I'd order the same frozen dinner the cafeteria serves yearly. I'd force the rubber turkey down my throat with a smile, and even though my mom and I would never admit it, the food was garbage. Instead, we pretended it was the most delicious meal we'd ever had because complaining about it would make us seem selfish. We were having another meal together and should have been grateful for that. There were people out there that would kill to eat some rubber turkey.

This year, however, River shows up at around five dressed in a nice pair of khaki pants and a button-down shirt. I've never seen him this dressed up, but he looks incredible. I can smell the mint of his gum from this plastic chair, my aching back from minutes ago somehow feeling just fine now that I'm looking at him.

His hair is more defined, almost like he put gel in it, and his face is freshly shaven. I stare at him like an idiot until my mom clears her throat and says, "River, what a pleasure to see you."

He smiles. "Happy Thanksgiving."

Ugh, he just had to smile, didn't he? That damn grin will drive me insane!

My phone buzzes beside me in the chair. It's my Uncle Tony asking for an update on my mom in the family group chat. I ignore it and turn my attention back to River.

"Happy Thanksgiving," my mom replies. "We were just about to order the special they're serving for dinner this year."

Almost instantly, River's nose wrinkles up in disgust like he's picturing the rubber turkey himself, but rather than poke fun, he nods and looks back out into the hallway. "Uh, I was actually going to see if you wanted me to bring back some of our dinner. I was on the way home from the grocery store and figured I'd stop by and ask."

My phone buzzes again, catching River's attention. He looks at the phone, then back to my mom.

"You know what, why don't you just-"

Another buzz.

My mom and River both send me an exasperated glance.

"Sorry." I quickly fumble with my phone to try and silence it. "It's just the family group chat. They want an update from me."

"Why don't you go have dinner with River, honey?" My mom suggests.

"And leave you alone on Thanksgiving? No. Absolutely not."

"What would I be doing differently if you were here, Hazel? I'd be in the same bed, watching the same shows, seeing the same doctors. For once, go and have a hot and fresh Thanksgiving meal. Please. You can bring me back the plate that River so graciously offered."

Drumming my fingertips on the armrest of the chair, I see River contemplating if this is something he even wants me to come over for. I mean, why would he? We aren't dating. Bringing me over for a Thanksgiving dinner with his family would insinuate we're more than just friends, which we aren't. The poor guy offered to bring back some plates of food, not have me accompany him to his house.