12

FOOD HAS NEVER tasted so good

FOOD HAS NEVER tasted so good. I've eaten more Turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing than I ever have.

River made sure to take two heaping spoonfuls of candied yams, and since he was sitting right next to me, he made the point to continue to keep his hand on my knee. Ever since he got permission from me, all five fingers have been on me tonight, and I'm not complaining.

"I'm so glad you were able to come tonight. It's been so nice having you here," Tracy gushes.

We've all had enough to eat, and now we're just sitting to let the food settle.

"Thanks so much for having me. I had a really-" Oh god, he squeezed my knee again. "Um, great time tonight," I finish.

"It's our pleasure. We were just happy River wanted to have someone over!"

"He doesn't bring his other friends here?" I ask, and I don't know why I asked that because now River's hand is off my knee. Damn.

"Not since he started staying here. I keep telling him that he can have friends over, but he's still reluctant for some reason."

River is too quiet, and I desperately want to know why. I said I wouldn't ask, but I'm not asking him, I'm asking Tracy. That has to be a loophole, right?

"Staying here?" I inquire.

"As our foster son," she replies, glancing between us as if she figured I already knew. "Steve and I are his foster parents."

Oh, god.

I set my fork down on my plate as River swirls his fork around his, still unable to say anything. He's not looking at me. He refuses to make eye contact, and everything begins to make sense. The reason why he said he understood where I was coming from—the reason why he was being so secretive about his past. There are no pictures or signs of life anywhere in his room.

Suddenly, I begin to feel like I've exaggerated my problems. My mom being sick is minuscule to what he's probably lived through.

"We should clear the table." Tracy motions for Steve to help after she senses the tension between us, and when they're out of the room, leaving both of us alone, I still don't know what to say.

He let me think that my problems were huge. I've been acting like I have the worst life possible when in reality, it could have been a hell of a lot worse. I thought River had a perfect life when that's far from the truth. River's life is even sadder than mine.

"Well." River brings his eyes to mine, and he's trying to hide the pain with his smile, but I've gotten to know him enough by now to see how much he's hurting behind his eyes. "Looks like you're not the only one that feels like candied yams, huh?"

I'm sorry isn't the right thing to say. I know firsthand that it's not going to change anything. Now I know that River and I are alike in so many ways, and he does know where I'm coming from, so I'm going to treat him like I'd want to be treated.