CH. 6

SIX:

Sunday, September 30th
3:40 AM

A gentle hand came to my arm, "Are you okay?" Tristan asked me. I swallowed, glancing over at him and forcing a smile to my face. I nodded my head. "You sure? I know that wasn't easy on you."

"I'm fine, really," I lied, "thank you."

A couple of people approached us, one tapping Tristan on the shoulder and whispering in his ear quickly before stepping back. "Oh, excuse me, Danielle," Tristan said, squeezing my arm before letting go and walking away from me with four lackeys following suit.

I furrowed my eyebrows, watching them head up a staircase. I looked around and noticed Aya and Mohinder approaching Marcel who was huddled at the bar next to Hayley. I rushed over to them as they were all headed in my direction. "What's going on?" I asked and Hayley grabbed hold of me to pull me to the side while the vampires left.

"They're taking Marcel somewhere," she said.

I furrowed my eyebrows and we both followed after all of them, upstairs into a private room where Tristan stood in the middle of the room, flanked by two men. Aya waltzed right through to his right hand side.  And suddenly more vampires flooded in, crowding and surrounding every wall surface from every entrance. I took a deep breath, gulping. This wasn't good. Marcel stood by the doors we entered, Hayley and I right behind him. We stood still, preparing for whatever was to come.

"Mr. Gerard! It's time," Tristan said.

"You're pushing up the clock? I have another hour," Marcel pointed out.

"And I'm afraid that an inability to improvise is the most common of failings. Either you have an answer, or you don't," Tristan quipped.

"So much for saying you were honest," I scoffed under my breath. Marcel and Hayley shot me warning looks. I rolled my eyes. Elijah was lurking around. I wasn't in any danger. Marcel on the other hand? All these vampires were here to make sure he played his role in their twisted game.

"Aya. Aya took my ring," Marcel said. "I went to shake someone's hand, got rejected and she slipped it off me when she led me away from the awkwardness."

"I'm sorry, but I don't have your r—" Aya was saying matter of factly, giving him a look that said she was offended he even named her. As if it weren't true.

"Hold up!" Marcel cut her off. "I said you took it. I didn't say you still have it. See, after you lifted it off me, you gave it to my man Mohinder over there."

All eyes turned to Mohinder, standing behind Tristan, holding Marcel's daylight ring. Oh, no. He eats vampires. He has complete control over his mind and body to starve forever without any repercussions. He taught Aya how to fight. And apparently she could whip Marcels ass, so I could only imagine Mohinder.

"Well done! Of course, as you know, that was only half the challenge," Tristan said, clapping Marcel on the shoulder as he passed by him. Aya his lap dog on his heels. Hayley tugged me back as everyone made room for Marcel and Mohinder to stand in the middle.

"Let's see how he does," Tristan whispered as he came to the other side of me, giving me a soft smile. It felt genuine, but I couldn't be sure. I didn't trust him. He's been nothing but nice to me but he had this vibe about him that made me weary. He led this vampire cult, and that should've been enough of a red flag. I just sensed there was something more psychotic hiding under that suit and charm.

I looked away Tristan as both men in the fight curl cake were unbuttoning their suit jacket. "Kick his ass, Marcel," I mumbled lowly, taking Hayley's hand in mine and squeezing it.