CH. 18

EIGHTEEN:

Tuesday, January 1st
8:22 AM

I yawned loudly as I sat myself up in bed. In front of me stood my fiancé with a prepared tray of breakfast. I smiled, adjusting the comforter over my lap for Klaus to place the tray down. "Brekkie in bed?" I questioned.

He rolled his eyes at the first word, "good morning, baby girl. And yes, I figured you'd be hungover. I wanted to do something nice."

"My head has a small throb and I feel nauseous but... food might help. I'm starved," I said.

He put the tray down, kissing my cheek. "Enjoy. I'm going to hop in the shower."

"Okay."

"And I let Penelope into the backyard to use the bathroom," he informed me.

"Thank you. I'll get her when I'm done eating."

I started to dig into my food as he headed for my en suite. I sighed softly. This was really sweet of my man to do. It was a new day, a new year. I wanted to make the best of it. Things were looking up. I just had to keep a positive mindset. If we want to move forward. I mean, there was a lot to look forward to. Decorating and furnishing my house I love, my friends spending winter break with me, a wedding to plan, and... couples therapy. Everything was good. Klaus and I were stronger than ever. We would get through this rough patch. And we'll wed... next year.

Halfway through my breakfast there was a knock at my door. I turned my head towards the en suite. The shower was running. Klaus won't be much longer, but he could hear if someone was in here with me. "Come in!" I shouted. I was too lazy to get out of bed. I was enjoying my brekkie.

The door cracked open to reveal Hayley. I gasped, dropping my fork. "You forgot?" She questioned, bouncing Hope on her hip. Both girls in black dresses, just like I should be. I shook my head, lying and denying it. How could I forget? We had a memorial thing we were doing for Jackson today.

"No. Klaus is in the shower. When he's out, I'll hop right in and then we'll go pick up the tree."

Hayley nodded, "Alright. Is Klaus coming?"

"Of course," I said. I moved my breakfast aside, ignoring my unfinished delicious pancakes. I needed to speak to Klaus quickly and make sure Freya and Elijah didn't forget. "Here. Eat something."

Hayley sat on the bed and Hope eager as ever, reached for my plate immediately. While those two were occupied doing that, I hurried to my closet to grab my little black dress. It was simple despite the semi-low dip v-neckline. I countered that with tights and a long black leather trench coat. "We won't be long," I called out as I slipped into the en suite, walking down the little hall to the door I could close to hide the bathroom.

"Love?" Klaus whispered, scaring the hell out of me as he opened the shower door.

I jumped for a moment, "Jackson's funeral, tree planting thing. We have to go!" I hissed as quietly as I could.

Klaus scoffed, "I haven't washed my hair."

I gave him the most dumfounded look. Why was he like this? If I wasn't panicking I would have found his vanity hilarious. "Scoot. I need a shower too," I sighed. My head was starting to hurt and that hangover was kicking in. Just what I needed. "And don't get any ideas. We are in a rush, Niklaus."

"I can be quick," Klaus smirked.

I rolled my eyes, stripping quickly. "When we leave, call Elijah and Freya. Make sure they make it to the park and someone brings flowers," I told my fiance.

"Okay," he agreed, waiting for me to join him.

***

Tuesday, January 1st
12:00 PM