CH. 16

SIXTEEN:

Thursday, December 27th
3:12 AM

I groaned softly as I was shaken awake. "Klaus?" I frowned in confusion. "What are you doing here? What time is it?"

"I was worried about you," he said softly, caressing my cheek. "We were on the phone and then... you just went silent. I wasn't sure if you fell asleep or not. But I wanted to check in anyways."

I reached for my phone, checking the time. It was the middle of the night. "That was hours ago," I pointed out to him.

I didn't hang up. He talked and talked. At some point when I picked up my phone, I heard him talking to himself, wondering if I had fallen asleep. Still I said nothing and let him hang up. But that was as I said, hours ago.

"I know," he said, leaning his head down to kiss me. I turned my head before he could. "Danielle, you have to talk to me, baby girl. What did I do? Why are you mad at me? I thought we were okay. How do I fix this?"

"You don't," I mumbled, pushing his arms away.

He shook his head, "I don't understand."

"You love her," I stated. "And I can't ignore it. I can't deny it. I don't believe otherwise."

"What? Who?" He questioned dumbly. "What are you talking about, love? I don't love anyone but you. I swear to you—"

"You know who," I sighed, cutting him off. "She needs somebody right now to help with her transition. As usual, it has to be you. It's always you when it costs me or our relationship. I'm no longer going to watch it. So, I hope you two are happy together. Your ring is in the nightstand drawer—"

"Danielle!" He snapped. "Bloody hell! No. No, okay. You do not get to give up on us or walk out on me. This is about Camille? You said you understand—"

"And I do! You love her! You have to! You two want each other, you need each other. That's what has been shoved down my throat for months and I can't take it anymore!"

He shook his head, "No. I love you. You. And I don't know how else to prove it to you. But, baby girl, you have to believe me. I need you. Okay? I won't lose you, Danielle. I can't. Not again. So whatever you want me to do, I'll do. Okay?"

I took a deep breath, exhaling shakily. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what to do or feel. All I did know was I can't live like this. It felt like I was sharing him and that isn't how I wanted to start a marriage.

I was reaching to turn on a light since we were speaking in the dark. I was wide awake now. Still emotional from the long day we just had. "Klaus—" I began.

"Hey, no. Let me talk," he rushed out. I looked back at him, able to really see him now. He looked desperate, and panicky. Over me? "You're done with school, right? How about we pack our bags and we go? Anywhere you want. Just the two of us. We can spend New Years in Wisconsin with your friends. Or I can have us on a jet to anywhere in the world before the sun rises—"

"What?" I scoffed. "We can't go anywhere. There's Hope and Hayley needs me. She needs us. She's going through something, Klaus. And what about your beloved Cami? How will she cope? How are you going to enjoy time with me when we both know you'll be thinking about her the whole time?"

"Well, what am I supposed to do?"

I shrugged, "this isn't fair to me, Klaus. It's not."

"What?"

I shook my head, tears welling in my eyes again. "If I say you can have time to help Cami with the newness of vampirism, all I'm doing is hurting myself... I don't want her to have any more of your time! Or to push you two to become closer! It's not fair!"