CH. 7

SEVEN:

Wednesday, October 10th
3:20 PM

I smiled at the cashier, thanking her as I took my large orange shopping bag. Yes, that's right. I could afford retail therapy again. I broke up with Klaus a month ago. And I was serious about our time apart. I wasn't living with him or off him. I cut up the cards he gave me. Originally by accident, out of anger. Like I cut up pictures of us the first couple days after the break up. Anyways, my mother ordered me a credit card which I received in the mail yesterday. So now I can spend her money, guilt free. Ironic because I think she did it mainly cause she still feels guilty for abandoning me when she divorced my dad and moved across the country for a younger and richer man.

I left the clothing store, sipping on my iced coffee. I had a good day at school. And Wednesdays were the only days I didn't have a planned workout afterwards. So I was treating myself to shopping spree. I got a couple new clothes for school and now I planned to get food before heading to the nail salon for a mani-pedi.

"Danielle?" Someone called.

I furrowed my eyebrows, turning around to see a semi-familiar face. Tristan de Martel. He smiled as he approached me where I stood, waiting for him to catch up. I looked him over. Impeccable dark grey, nearly black suit with a gorgeous black tie with an intricate gold design. Points for fashion I guess. "Tristan," I greeted.

"Lovely running into you," he said, reaching an arm around me for a hug, his hand on my lower back. We did air kisses to each other's cheek as one does. "What are you doing right now?" He asked me.

"About to grab a bite to eat," I shrugged. "You? What are you doing in the shopping district of New Orleans? Buying anymore of these fancy ties?" I asked, tugging his tie playfully.

"I'll buy a million of them, if you help me shop," he smirked. I raised my eyebrows in slight shock. Okay, this was flirting. Touching his tie probably gave him the wrong idea. "A little birdie told me that you were a fashion major.

I gasped, unable to hide my smile, "How did you know that?"

He shrugged, adjusting his tie, "I do my research on any topic that peaks my interest."

"I interest you?"

"You're a young, exquisite beauty," he said, reaching for my hand and kissing it. "You also dated the most feared man on this Earth. I think every vampire in the world is wondering what a normal girl like you was doing by his side and why... More importantly, what does Niklaus Mikaelson see in you? I'm expecting there has to be more than meets the eye."

"Oh yeah?" I retorted, crossing my arms.

"Niklaus does lack certain qualities of taste. It wouldn't surprise me if all he was after was a pretty face. But you, gorgeous, you proved you were more than that at my masquerade party."

I narrowed my eyes, slightly suspicious. Part of me wondered if his interest in me was to use me like a pawn in a chest game with the Originals. But then that seemed too paranoid, which makes me think that Klaus rubbed off on me. "I have nothing to prove, to anybody. But I damn sure am more than just a pretty face," I assured.

"I'd like to get to know you for everything else."

"Why?"

He shrugged, "Why not? You intrigue me. You're fierce, probably defiant, morality is in check, and it's not every day that a woman impresses me."

I blushed, slightly flattered. He was impressed by me. What for? Because I wasn't scared of him? For the way I stood up to Klaus that night? Or how I defended Marcel? I was protective of my friends. Maybe Tristan was impressed for all of those reasons.