Chapter 34

Having slept most of the ride to the outskirt city, Huang awoke to a dark sky and chilly breeze. Oddly enough, though, he felt much better than he had previously. He slowly lifted his head and looked around to get his bearings. The slightly too-big hood he had over his head cut his vision a little, but he knew that it was to keep his identity a secret. 

The horses slowed to a walk as they entered the more populated part of town, their panting breath lifting up into the cold air as little clouds of mist. The horses didn't seem like the only ones who were tired, either. 

Glancing up at Lee Shaan, Huang noticed that the man looked absolutely exhausted. More-so than what a simple day of riding should result in. 

Wait a moment...

Focusing on the man's warm hand against his hip, Huang realized that there was another reason for Lee Shaan's exhaustion. 

You've been feeding me spiritual energy this entire time? 

Seemingly having caught his question, Lee Shaan looked down at him, dark marks easily visible beneath his calm eyes. 

"I cannot have you defenseless when we go rescue your curse," he said, making Huang nod silently, but then hesitate. 

"What good is giving me spiritual energy if it remains locked inside of me?" 

Answering his question with a simple action, Lee Shaan removed his hand from within Huang's robe and lifted to it press against the slight opening over his chest. After a few whispered words, Huang felt all of his spiritual energy rush out from within the broken seal and suffuse throughout his body, drawing a staggering sigh of relief from his lips. 

He'd never had his energy sealed before Lee Shaan had done it, and he hoped that it never happened again. Feeling so weak was extremely disheartening. In fact...

Looking back up from where the man's hand was lowering from his chest, Huang began opening his mouth, intent on requesting that he release Qi's, too, but before he could speak there was a rough finger placed against his lips. 

"We will not speak of that yet. You are more than capable of protecting him now, are you not?" Lee Shaan asked, his tone clearly already knowing the answer. 

Huang pursed his lips and nodded. He was feeling the best he had in a long while... but still. 

"I will consider releasing his abilities once we get closer to the curse," Lee Shaan said as he steered their horses toward a small inn a little ways off the main road. 

The moment Huang was allowed to dismount he hurried over to help Qi down. He wasn't surprised when the man practically fell into his arms, completely out of energy from the long trip. It didn't help that his spiritual powers of healing were sealed, or that he'd just recently gone on a long journey simply to try and find him, either. 

While Lee Shaan went inside and quickly paid for their room, Huang carefully helped Qi inside. They stopped at the bottom of the stairs as Huang contemplated whether it would be appropriate if he carried Qi up them. It wouldn't be the easiest thing to do, but now that he had his abilities back, it wouldn't be too hard, either. 

It was just that... it would be a bit awkward since they were nearly the same size. 

Before he could make up his mind Lee Shaan appeared beside him and easily lifted Qi into his arms. He ascended the stairs with ease, clearly not minding the extra weight from another fully grown man. 

Huang simply watched them until they disappeared, then slowly began his own trek up the steps. He was only about halfway up them, clearly a bit more tired than he'd thought, when a warm hand wrapped around his wrist and tugged him the rest of the way up to the second floor.