Epilogue

The coronation ceremony was bustling with so many guests that he couldn't keep calm. Zen stuck to his master like glue as they mingled within the large crowd celebrating the kingdom's new ruler, Yuen Shui.

The man hadn't technically been interested in the throne, as his other young brother, Yuen Ren, had been next in line, but a mishap on the battlefield had unfortunately ended his life days before he could be summoned to discuss the situation at hand. It had probably been for the best, since the man had been much more like his father than his other two brothers, but the blow had still clearly hurt Shui and Huang, as well as the empress.

With their brother's passing, the title fell to Shui, and while he had immediately declined to receive it, since his home had always been the battlefield, Qi had somehow managed to convince him, after two weeks of constant discussions and meetings, that he was the best suited for throne.

Their mother had also been supportive of the idea of awarding the crown to Shui, even though she  knew that Qi was the rightful ruler. She also doted on him as if he were her own son now, too. Everyone agreed that Qi ascending the throne would cause far too much of an uproar, and in all honesty, he did not wish to sit upon it. Even back in his own little proxy country, he hadn't really wanted to take over once his master eventually passed. He had even recently renounced his title as prince of Han, and the weight that had come off of his chest that day had been visible to every person in attendance.

Looking at the man now, Zen couldn't help but smile. The worry lines that had been present between his master's brows for so many years were now smooth and his eyes shone with a relieved excitement.

"My Zen, you seem contently distracted," Qi said abruptly, snapping Zen from his little bout of staring and bringing a blush to his cheeks.

He quickly bowed his head and took Qi's hand, worried that he might just wander off if he got distracted again. Even though the man was no longer a prince, and had even told him that he no longer needed to be his personal guard, Zen hadn't thought of leaving for even half a second. There was nowhere else he wished to go and no one else he wished to be with but his long-time master.

"I believe we have stayed long enough," Qi said, making Zen's tense body finally begin to relax with hope that they would be retiring back to their Laughing Crow pavilion soon. The building had recently been officially gifted to them by Yuen Huang.

They had stayed for the ceremony, as well as the following feast. Surely they would not be missed during the evening festivities. Zen let himself be tugged along, his smile returning to his face the farther away they got from the bustling area. The moment they began traversing the little bridge leading back to their pavilion a familiar figure stepped out from behind a large tree to their left.

"Prince Yuen," Qi said as he nodded his head in acknowledgement.

The man must have just left the gathering, too, as they had seen him silently sitting beside Lee Shaan at the feast earlier. He also looked slightly uncomfortable as he walked forward, but Zen bit his tongue on questioning if he'd gotten injured somehow. It wasn't his place to comment, even though he was no longer considered a servant.

"Good evening, Qi," Huang said with a tired smile. "Are you both well? It seems like everything is finally settled. The throne is in good hands and my mother and sister are both doing well."

Qi gave him a firm nod and returned his smile.

"I am pleased with how everything has turned out. Is your highness sure that he doesn't mind us using his pavilion, though? We don't mind moving to a different one or leaving the grounds altogether," Qi said, always the one who didn't want to bother others.