Jane 1

Jane Everlasting's p. o. v

I had spent hours trying to find that human, but from all the houses I had checked, not one trace of them nor the proxies could be found. I was admittedly kind of worried about them because they were as normal as any outsider out here, suddenly being tossed into being forced to commit an act of murder. I couldn't help but wonder what happened to them.

Did they actually go through with it? Or did they give away their true identity to the proxies? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if something went wrong and now they're dead. Then what's the point of searching for them?

I had cleared several neighborhoods and was about to consider heading back to the mansion and asking Slender where he had send the proxies when I see an odd figure in the distance, shuffling through the dark towards the woods.

I sneak closer to get a better view until I'm sure enough that that figure had to be Toby—I mean (Y/N)!

It's mind-boggling how similar in appearance those two are, damn.

I catch up to (Y/N) from behind and grab their shoulder. Before I could say anything, they abruptly turn on me, hatchets held threateningly in hand and I jumped back, a bit startled by their harsh reaction. "It's....me, human, jeez. Did I scare you that bad?" I chuckle nervously.

They stared at me for a long time, and I notice their face is completely covered in dry blood, so are their clothes and the gear. They...went through with it? That's a bit surprising...maybe the proxies pressured them or they did it out of fear for their life...

"Jane..." (Y/N) finally uttered out. They fully turned around to face me and threw themselves into me. It was unexpected, but I reacted by wrapping my arms around them anyways and rubbing their back; poor human—I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually feel so bad for them. It's all my fault they're in this situation anyways...now they had to take an innocent life and that must've done so much to them mentally.

"There there To—(Y/N)...I know it hurts, and I know you're scared. Let me take you back to the mansion, we'll get you cleaned up and into some regular clothes, then I'll sneak you out and we can head back to your home and make the quick switch with Toby again, okay?"

"...That would be great."

(Y/N) slowly raised their head from my shoulder and looked at me. I notice their eyes seemed a bit different, almost sort of like...nothing was really in there...? I don't know how to explain it or how to put it but they didn't really...look the same as when they left earlier.

"Where are the other proxies?" I ask them, rubbing their shoulder. "They were taken by the police. They told 'Toby' to head back to the mansion without them. They'll get themselves out without a sweat."

(Y/N) said this very straightforwardly.

I tilted my head, "Oh, alright...? All of them except you? Lucky enough, I guess. Come on, it's getting late and it would be best to make the switch tonight."

I start walking ahead and turn to make sure that they're following me behind as I lead the way back to the mansion.

When me and (Y/N) get back to the mansion, I notice that they're being more fidgety and shaky than normal—like they weren't even this nervous before.

I nudge them in the arm and whisper, "Are you alright?"

"Y-Yes. I just want to go home w-without anymore problems."

"Patience, soldier. Let's get you cleaned up first and changed, then we'll head out."

(Y/N) seemed to cringe when I called them 'soldier' and their shaking grew a bit more noticeable. BEN appears nearby and looks at (Y/N) with a concerned expression. "Toby, you alright man? Whatever happened, maybe if you come game with me you'll feel better?" He murmured.

"No time BEN, ask him tomorrow, he's had a long day," I scowl at him before pushing T—(Y/N) away towards the stairs.

Once we get upstairs and I'm pushing (Y/N) to Toby's room, I notice X-Virus is there, leaned against the door with his arms crossed. He looks up and his eyes widen when he sees the bloodied up figure of (Y/N). "Toby....? You're back..??"

He then notices me behind them and his brightened eyes quickly go dark and he scowled, "No, it's the fucking human!"

"Shush!!" I hiss at him, "I'm trying to get the human ready so we can make the switch with the real Toby now. Move, Cody!"

X-Virus glared before hesitantly moving from the door and I push (Y/N) inside. "Go wash yourself, grab some simple clothes from Toby's closet, and meet me at my room when you're done, got it?"

"O-Okay," (Y/N) responded weakly. I'm starting to see a bit of normalcy returning to their eyes, but now they seemed more fearful than they were before.

I gave them a small assuring smile from beneath my mask and turn to walk off.

I just...wish I had made sure X-Virus came along with me...