Chapter 43

A/N

Hey guys! How's life? I hope it's good!

Anyways, thesecondoreo, I don't know why I found your comment fitting, but I did.

As far as this chapter's title goes, this is the title of a song by Hozier. Yes that was intentional; I found it fitting of Bridges. I don't own the song.

Thank you much and mighty for your reviews! Much love to all you beautiful people! Have a good day/night!

----------------------------------------------

"Arsonist's Lullaby."

"Elise! I love you!"

The child gave a loud kiss on the snowy cheek, and Owen felt himself go soft at the warmth turning the crimson eyes a gentle cinnamon. Elise never grew tired of the bestowed love in its purest form. An almost ache where it threatened to burst the chest with the warmest of feelings and painted the world with the most vivid of colors.

Owen loved Elise like that, and he knew she felt the same. He wasn't sure if that was parental love, but he simply knew this was a pure love.

A precious treasure.

The white dinosaur made a low, soft croon that sent the child skittering away with a delighted laugh. Happy, chiming bells that were always a welcome sound in the air.

Elise loved how the room smelled when it was filled with children, and their happy smells were almost enough to dilute the smell of death.

Almost.

It was odd to watch the man out of the corner of her eye; when he thought no one was looking. His demeanor changed; he almost looked dead. The icy blue eyes turned dark and flat, and the pale skin looked unhealthy. He continued to fiddle with something in his pocket; seemingly turning it over and over.

Or he was simply standing in a particularly dark spot in the room; the lightbulb above him had flickered before dying not long after he had claimed that small spot against the wall as his own. Elise wasn't exactly sure what that meant, but she knew it wasn't very good. She didn't like how the children would create an arc around him as they walked by; it disturbed her how they seemed unaware of what they were doing.

Bridges was tall, almost lanky, but the lean muscle gave him shape. Elise knew he was handsome by human standard; the females here liked to stare at him frequently. How could they not smell Death's strong cloak around him? Elise wondered if Owen could smell the decay; Claire would curl her lip like she could. Claire was standing across from Owen, and away from Bridges.

Blue was on edge below her; she could smell the dead one with a beating heart. It was what Blue had named him. Dead One. She was pacing around Elise's feet as she waited for one excuse to rip the Dead One apart. She was nervous enough to make Echo move much further into the ferns, and Delta was to remain hidden as well. Elise didn't want Bridges to see how big her family was; she didn't want him to see anything about her family.

But Blue would never yield without very good reason; she would defy Death, and she would not run at his mere scent. She was staying close to her Alphas in case they needed help. Elise would admit she was grateful for the raptor's presence; Blue was not going to abandon them.

She would be the first into a fight, and the last one to leave.

Elise glanced to the side of her when Owen smiled as he said, "Thank you for stopping by, ladies and gentlemen. I hope you enjoy your visit here."

As always, the most enthused children darted forward to give one more declaration of love to the white dinosaur before returning to relaxed parents; adults simply grateful for finding an attraction that was in a shady spot and kept their children's attention. Elise gave the vibrating, almost purr that never failed to entice smiles, and she rested her head on the cement as the guests trickled out. Her gaze fell to a particularly bouncy, adorable toddler teetering next to her mother. The sky blue dress with colorful flowers stitched on made Elise grow soft before the toddler suddenly tripped and fell onto the cement.