Chapter 8

A/N

I'm sorry if I ruined your guys' night yesterday! No one should ever go to bed sad, but I warned you in chapter two that I would break out the heart wrenching moments! On a more serious note though, I know I didn't put a warning yesterday, and I didn't think about how it might have really upset some of you. That was insensitive on my part. I have absolutely no problem with putting warnings for death if you guys don't care for those kinds of surprises. I hadn't posted a warning yesterday because no one technically died. If you're not comfortable with posting that request in the reviews, then PLEASE give me a PM, and I will make sure to give warnings. *I will say this is a sad start as we continue where we left off!*

Thank you for your reviews! ...And your several threats along with reprimands from yesterday, those were fun ^.^

"#Badassery"

Owen could not understand the hollow pain in his chest as he kept a firm hand on Elise's warm nose. He loved how the scales felt, and Elise's were so huge that it made him feel little.

Elise made Owen realize just how little he really was in this world.

He was pulled from his stupor when Dr. Gerry's hand gently squeezed his shoulder. The old vet had pulled his sunglasses off, and the wrinkled, blue eyes held only empathy, and understanding. Dr. Gerry softly said, "It's not going to hurt her, and it'll be fast. She knows you love her, and that's all she's going to need right now. As long as you're right here with her, she'll be fine."

Owen began to breathe a little faster as he shook his head, and desperately whispered, "I can't do this."

Gerry squeezed his shoulder firmly as he said, "I think you need to, Owen. It'll be easier on her, and it'll be better for you, trust me."

Owen had asked Elise to trust him, and now she was going to die. She wouldn't abandon him like the loyal pack member she was, and she was paying the price. Owen gave a shaky cough to cover the hiccupped breath, and he shoved one hand in his pocket to ball his fist. He kept his other hand on the warm nose as he tried to hold his breath.

If God above was watching over him right now, he really needed some help. Any divine up above would work for him. Lightning, an earthquake, anything that would pull that blue syringe away from his tough baby. Dr. Gerry was fitting a large, sharp needle on, and Owen half wondered if Elise would be lucky enough to have scales too tough for the needle's sharp point.

Gerry gave a small, sad sigh as he lifted the syringe up before giving it a small push; the blue liquid dribbled from the point as all air bubbles were pushed out, and Owen felt another gust of warm air on his face. He desperately pleaded with Claire, and she bit her lip, but she didn't look away.

At least she was humane enough to give him that much.

Gerry moved close to the soundly sleeping, peaceful giant, and he gave her a gentle pat above her closed eye as he said, "I'm sorry, Kiddo."

Owen began to sag when the old hand moved along the scales as he searched for the jugular. It wasn't hard to find, and Gerry pressed against it. It only took a few seconds before the vein began to bulge, and Owen finally began to realize what was about to happen.

There was nothing he could do about it. He couldn't watch, and he pressed his forehead against Elise as he waited.

Owen nearly leapt out of his skin when the silent, somber feeling in the air was broken by Lowery quickly yelled over the crackling radio.

"WAIT! WAIT! Don't do it!"

Gerry gave an irritated glare at the radio when he dropped his syringe in surprise, and Claire looked livid as she snatched the radio from Owen's hip. He blinked dumbly at her, and Claire quietly snapped, "What the hell, Lowery?!"