Risky

An; not spell checked

  TW: mentions panic attack.

I tug at my shirt, staring at the TopGun facility.

  "We're early, just like the old man requested." Jake says, standing next to me. I let out a puff of air, taking a step forward.

  "Let's get this over with." I say, walking towards the building.

  "Do you need me to come with you?" Jake asks, picking up his pace and touching my arm. I pause, looking up at him.

  "I've got it." I say, shooting him a smile as I reach out to grab the door. "Thanks, anyways."

"Anytime, sweetheart." He says, moving back towards Coyote.

"Oh no, you all already have pet names?" Coyotes asks. "Rooster is going to kill you two."

***

I walk down the hallway slowly, my heart hammering in my chest. I pause at the classroom door, my hand on the handle.

Why am I nervous? Why am I nervous to see the man who was basically my father growing up?

I take a deep breath, opening the door. The room is empty, except for my Uncle Maverick, who stands at the white board at the end of the room. His back is too me, but when the door opens, he turns around.

He is wearing his usual flight suit, the grey fabric looking the same as I remembered it.

   I surprise myself when I break into a run, colliding into him and giving him a hug.

He hugs me back tightly, and I laugh when I realize I am now taller then him.

  "Good lord, Brooke, you've grown." Maverick says, holding me out at arms length. I smile at him, wiping away tears on my eyes.

Hormones are stupid.

"A lot can happen in four years, Uncle Pete." I say, smiling at him.

  He shakes his head, sighing.
  "At least you aren't put- out by the sight of me. That brother of yours has been a real pain." His eyes are filled with regret and hurt, and I try to lighten the mood.

  "Rooster is acting like a bratty teenager." I say, laughing. "You should see him at the barracks."

  He laughs, and my heart squeezes painfully in my chest. That laugh was background noise to most of my childhood... I've missed it.

  "I pity the rest of the aviators." He says, and I shrug.

  "Hangman is getting the worst of it. I need to get a job so I can get an excuse to get out of the house." I say, grinning.

  "I know some people. I'll make a few calls." He says. "How's life, Brooke? What have I missed?"

  "My favorite color is green now." I say, shrugging. "Not much has really happened."

  He searches my face.

  "You got your ears pierced." He says, and I shrug, reaching up to touch my earrings.

  "Yeah. That too."

  We are quiet, standing in awkward silence, before he glances at the clock.

  "They should probably be here in a minute. You can stay and watch me make them look bad if you want." He says, grinning. "And I'll talk to Penny at The Hard Deck, and see if I can get you a job there."

  "Thanks, Uncle Pete. It means the world."

****

I scroll through Facebook, my feet on the seat in front of me. My Uncle left a minute ago, and the quietness is relaxing.