Apologize

(He's so fine I'm dying—)

   I walk through the front door behind Phoenix, tugging the door shut and locking it.

  "Is everyone asleep?" I ask quietly, peering around the dark house. Phoenix nods in the shadows, leaning into the kitchen.

  "Looks like it. We have a full day of class in the morning." She says.

  "How fun." I comment, withholding a sigh. "I'm gonna go sit on the deck. Care to join?"

  "Nah," she says, grabbing a bottle of coke from the fridge. "I'm gonna go shower. Come up when you are done... my room is always open."

  "Thanks, Nat." I say, throwing my bag onto the couch and making my way to the deck.

Pulling open the slider door with a creak, I smile, the night air blowing into my face. I sigh, closing my eyes, before opening them again and looking around.

When I see his form, I freeze. He is sitting on top of the steps that lead down to the beach, his elbows on his knees. The screen door is so loud I know he heard me.

God, of course.

"You can come on out, Darling." He says, tilting his head to look at me. "I don't bite."

I huff, moving to sit next to him, my feet placed firmly on the step below us.
"I have the marks on my neck that prove that you do." I snip, surprised when he hums forlornly.

We are both quiet, the awkward silence settling between us like a barrier.

"I'm sorry." He speaks, glancing at me, before his eyes move to his hands. "I was out of line."

"Yeah, you where." I say, leaning back. He chuckles darkly, playing with his hands.

We are both quiet once again, watching an airliner fly far off the coast, the blinking red light drawing our attention.
   Once it fades from view I move to my feet, stepping down a few steps until I am standing in front of him, at his level.

His eyes meet mine, and I swallow.

"I'm not the one you should be apologizing too, Jake." I say, pausing before gently cupping his face with my hands. He leans into my touch, and I continue. "You really hurt Rooster... I think you know that, though. You need to apologize to him."

He nods, kissing the palm of my hand.
"I will, Brooke."

"I mean it, Jake. Until then, I am sleeping in Phoenix's room." I say, grinning at him.

He huffs, grabbing my hands and tugging them off his face.
"Now that is just cruel." He says. I shrug, making my way back up the steps and into the house.