The Mission

As I hug Bradley, I let out a deep sigh

  "Come home safe." I breath. "Please."

  He tightens his grip around me, and I think of when we where kids. When he would give me a hug, and refuse to let go.

  "I love you, sis." He says. I think about how Jake and I stayed up late last night, talking about the mission. And how dangerous it is.

  "I love you too, Bradley." I say, forcing myself to step back. "Take care of the rest of them for me, okay?"

  "Always, sis. Always." He says, smiling. He glances over my shoulder at Hangman, who is watching the exchange politely. Waiting his turn.

  As he turns to exit the house, I speak quickly.
  "Don't do anything stupid." I say, my voice cracking. He pauses, turning to smile at me.

  "How could I?" He says, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "I'm leaving all the stupid with you."

  As he steps out the door, Hangman steps forward, tugging me into a hug. I rest my head on him, my heart hammering in my chest.
  "Look out for him.. for me?" I say, and I feel him nod.

  "Of course." He says, kissing my hair.

  "And please Jake... please be safe." I whisper, tilting my head to look him in the eyes. "I don't think I can do this without you."

  "I... I can't promise anything." He whispers. "But I will try."

  I close my eyes, leaning into him.
  "That's all I can ask of you."

He stands there, seeming to be trying to memorize me, his hands rubbing up and down my back soothingly.

"I love you a lot, Brooke Bradshaw." He whispers suddenly, his breath hot on my ear.

"Love is a strong word, Jake. Maybe appreciate." I whisper, and his laugh echo's through the house.

"Stay safe, darling." He says, reaching around me and slinging a backpack over his shoulder.

I walk with him too the door, leaning on the frame.

"Natasha or Jake." I speak quickly, making him raise his eyebrows. "For the baby's name."

He grins.
"Or Bradley, if he doesn't kill me once he finds out." He says. "One Jake might be enough for you already."

"Nah." I say, grinning.
"I'll go to the doctor while your gone. I'll call and make an appointment."

"With our luck, you are pregnant with triplets," he says jokingly, hand on the door.

"Don't jinx me, Bagman." I say, smiling.

"I love you, Jake."

"Love you two, Baby." He says, giving me a smile before closing the door behind him.