Chapter 6 - Time Lapse

Eurilia

Novah's idea of escape turned out to be less of an actual escape plan and more of a way for the Time Lords to taste their own medicine. He wants to trap them in another dimension. Astrid thinks he's crazy, but what else is new?

"Why don't we just transport ourselves out of here?" she questioned as she watched him sort through pieces of equipment he had already taken out of their rightful place.

Novah abruptly turned around to give her a disbelieving look that suggested that Astrid should have known the reason already. She bit her lip to stop herself from saying something she will regret instantly.

"Don't be silly. I'm not suicidal." he dismissed her. "We don't know the universal coordinates of Eurilia. It's mathematically impossible to calculate the distance of the coordinates our particles would need to travel. Not to mention all the dematerialization factors that make your idea so so dangerous."

Astrid's mouth got shot tight. Way to bring her down a notch. She played with her thumbs still watching Novah searching for something in his stuff, mumbling to himself. Well, if he wasn't going to tell her what he was looking for, how could she help him?

"Besides," he paused, straightened his back, and then turned to look at her with a painful expression on his face. Astrid fought the urge to arch an eyebrow. It was clear that his back was still hurting him and the moron kept tiring it instead of resting. "Just us getting out of here will not solve anything."

"How so?" she tilted her head confused.

Novah waved his arms around. "Clearly we need to stop them." he pointed outside where his previous team resided. "Those...Time Lords," he shuddered as the name passed his lips. "control the lives of every living being in creation. And they will continue to do so. Where's your sense of justice?"

Right! He did have a point. If they somehow found a way to leave Eurilia behind, then they would be easy pray for the Time Lords to take hold of their lives as well. Bye-bye free will, bye-bye freedom. That was what the Syndicate of the five planets fought for. Astrid's ancestors were part of that war. Then Astrid remembered her father and his cloning project and Ivar and how she framed her for the murder of the Council. Her sympathy evaporated in an instant.

"On the other hand, they got rid of a great evil. Isn't that valiant? To save the innocent and the weak from evil when you have the opportunity to do so?"

She tried to sound innocent and soft in her speech so as to not anger him. And it appeared to have worked because Novah let down what he was holding and made his way close to her. There was no anger on his features, just fondness. It reminded her of a parent looking at their child. He took hold of his elbows and stared softly into her eyes.

"But who decides what is good and what evil? Where do you draw the line?" he questioned slowly, piercing his gaze onto her, trying to make her see his point of view. "Today is an evil race of Witches. Fine, they saved a lot of lives. Tomorrow, it's going to be someone who killed someone in a fight, in fear, by accident. After that, it's going to be everyone who ever wronged someone. And then, whoever they don't agree with -let's start with religion. You know that we Caxavians are atheists. But most planets have their own religions. How long do you think until those out there will start seeing those different from them as wrong, then as villains and in the end as evil?"

Astrid could see it. All of those things Novah talked about. She could see them happening in front of her eyes. And she understood. He was absolutely right. Was that how her father started? Did he think that he was doing good? Saving the lives of his fellow patriots?