Chapter 5- Art in Deception

Thelleirilia

When the child had found her at Ravana's place, Noemi knew immediately that the gypsy wanted to talk to her. So she dismissed the child, who disappeared as if it had never been there. Noemi, then, asked Ravana for one of her euphoria pills. The dealer smirked at her but conceded.

"Our usual deal?" she asked cryptically.

"Of course." Noemi replied.

"I give you this one for free, Noemi. But I expect to be paid in some other kind. And soon. Your debt is piling up. I may like you, but I have my limits."

Noemi swallowed hard but nodded nonetheless. The truth is, she had been expecting the ultimatum for some time now. Hopefully, this job would pay her enough to get by. With a half-hearted smile, she took the pill and hit the streets.

It wasn't raining outside, but it still sucked. The atmosphere was filled with moisture, so Noemi felt it piercing her bones and tearing through her skin. There was nothing worse, in her opinion. The road was full of mud. Slippery under her boots and filthy. Noemi walked past the square with the broken clock, through the garden of unholy statues in honor of their saviors. It was an unholy ground to pray to their deities. Noemi may have come there a handful of times. More than twice, less than five. She didn't feel it in her heart to pray to the statues of Lilith, of Asmodeus of Beelzebub, or any of the others. Instead, she felt a creepy feeling crawling under her skin whenever she was close.

She continued her walk until she reached the Ghosthunters store. The building appeared ancient and haunted. Noemi mussed that it represented the busyness. As a rule she tried to avoid the Ghosthunters. They were ruthless and weird -their job needed them to be. The only thing she knew about them was that they hunted ghosts. What a shocker; it was in the name. It was a thriving business from what she had heard. Everyone who dies becomes a ghost, as they are unable to move on to the afterlife. The Ghosthunters hunt those wandering souls and sell them either to witches, or to whoever pays the most. Noemi had entertained the idea of becoming one -she definitely wouldn't be in such a desperate spot right now- but unfortunately they hadn't accepted her. Bummer! Noemi hated them now.

She met the Gypsy behind that building. They waited for her with their mask-worn face and their gray jumpsuit, leaning against the wall.

Hello, do you have anything for me?, Noemi signed.

The Gypsy detached themselves from the wall and took a couple of steps closer.

My kind has looked for your Ramiel. No one has been able to find anything that suggests he exists.

Noemi felt her jaw clap tight. Her shoulders fell in disappointment. She had known deep down that Uriel was probably lying to her. But the prospect of what he suggested was alluring. She had allowed herself to be enticed.

Though we were not able to search everywhere, the Gypsy continued.

Explain!, Noemi demanded, eyes widened as hope blossomed again in her chest.

There is a place on a planet called Earth that has been closed off and no one is allowed to go there. A very long time ago, it used to be called Mexico. Now it's a quarantine zone. They say a deadly illness was spread there and so the witches closed the borders and kept all the ill inside. If your Ramiel exists, then-

Then he's in there and that's why no one knows him and no one can find him., Noemi finished the sentence.

I must warn you though. The chances of that being true are highly unlikely.

You gave me the information. It doesn't concern you what I do from now on.

No, they agreed. But I can still tell you to be careful. It's called guaranteed for a reason.