Intermission 2/3: The Colonials

~88 Years ago. Calendar year 2937 KE~

Great War era Mimaran troopers are guarding a dockyard in a wartorn city in southern Mimar. The ragtag coalition army from Mantle, Mistral, and Vale are marching up to various ships heading towards their respective kingdoms while civilians are in large lines at the entrance to the docks. At the front of these lines is practically a division of Mimaran officers that are asking questions to the colonial civilians.

One of these civilians, a woman with her two children following her, walks up to one of these checkpoints.

Officer: Name and occupation?

Colonist: Arcene....Police officer.

The officer checks a list of names from a series of file cabinets set up behind the officers. Arcene recognized the files are from the police department in the city.

Officer: Arcene....last name?

Arcene: .... Rose.

The officer finds the file for Arcene and checks it out.

Officer: Officer Arcene Rose. Two children. Husband died in a construction accident two years ago.

Arcene: Yeah....

Officer: Hm....

The officer looks up and notices something from Arcene's eyes that catches his attention. He then looks at Arcene's children and notices a similar feat they all have. Silver eyes.

Officer: ..... Tell me something, Miss Rose. Do you want to stay here. In this city and the continent?

Arcene: I would prefer my children not lose the only home they know...

Officer: Even if the administration changes? If many of your neighbors are no longer living here?

Arcene: I have a sister back in Sanus, but I doubt she can afford to shelter us because of the war. So we have nowhere else to go.

The officer nods and stamps something onto Arcene's file.

Officer: Any immediate family in this city? Siblings, your parents?

Arcene shakes her head.

Officer: Corporal.

One of the nearby guards looks at the officer.

Officer: Miss Rose fits our criteria. Escort her and her family to processing that way the proper paperwork can be handled.

The corporal salutes and escorts Arcene and her children away from the crowds of people and are led into a warehouse where more crowds of people were waiting. One of Arcene's kids, a fifteen year old boy really, glances at his mother while Arcene holds her young daughter's hand as they walk.

Son: Mom, what's going to happen to us?

Arcene: Everything will be alright, John. I.... think we won't be forced to leave.

After a couple hours, Arcene's family reaches another officer who was processing files.

Processing Officer: Arcene Rose and her family, John Rose and Susie Rose.

Arcene: What's all this about, if I may ask?

Processing Officer: Though we are deporting a large number of colonists out of the colonies, we are in need of specialized workers to help with reconstruction, especially during the immediate manpower shortage until our people can properly reintegrate in our lost land. So any civilian fitting our criteria, along with their families, will be permitted to stay if they wish.

Arcene: Probably a tenth of the city at most are specialists. Doctors, engineers...

Processing Officer: We're also permitting a quota of construction workers and supply workers to stay to bolster numbers. Frankly, many Mimarans wanted a complete deportation of the colonial population but the Queen's cooler mind prevailed in that argument. But at least a third of the city's population will be sent to one of the other kingdoms. The rural, agricultural sectors will be left untouched, however, to maintain food supplies for those remaining. At most, we're expecting a thirty to forty percent decrease in the overall colonial population throughout Mimar.