Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Maura's pov

I was waiting to hear the truth from Jane. I was prepared for her answer - she already told me that she had sex with me just because I asked her. It wouldn't surprise me to hear the exact same answer from her, even now when she looked so calm. But I guess I wanted to hear her say it just to be a hundred percent sure. Hope never dies, they say, so I couldn't pretend I didn't secretly hope that Jane would say exactly the opposite, letting me know that she had sex with me because she felt like it, because she wanted to do it. Making love isn't like having sex, I could see it now. So it was important for me to know the truth from Jane. I waited patiently for an answer as Jane hesitated, still mulling her thoughts.

"No, Maura. It doesn't really matter," she shook her head, avoiding looking at my eyes. "And you know why? Because in a few months I am going to college and it's in another city. Miles away."

Jane was avoiding my question at all cost. Maybe she was scared to tell me the truth in my face. Or she was afraid that I would take offence, that her honest answer would upset me. Maybe she was sparing my feelings by not answering me directly. I didn't need her pity though. Her reply that it didn't matter wasn't even a real answer.

"But we can still be friends and even something more..."

"No, Maura, we can't." she cut me off, saying it so matter-of-factly. "Distance is not good for any relationship."

"But we don't study in the same school, and yet we are best friends and we see each other almost every day. I don't see any difference."

"We'll be miles away from each other, Maura. Miles! It will be different, you'll see that." Jane was talking like she knew in advance what was going to happen, but she wasn't a psychic so she couldn't possibly know that.

"Still... Would you answer my question, Jane?" I asked again. I really needed to know the truth. It really did matter to me. The truth could change everything. Didn't she realize how important that was for me?!

"It doesn't matter... Let's just sleep. I am tired." Jane turned around and didn't say another word to me.

"Would it be different if we went to same college?" I asked quietly, but my question left unanswered. I didn't know whether Jane didn't hear my question because she was asleep, or she simply didn't want to answer.