Curiouser and Curiouser

You think for a moment, "What did you mean earlier? When you said you're not what other people say you are?" You could tell by his sudden tenseness that this was a rough subject.

"Most people call us evil and cruel, but that's not really the whole story. Let's just say that I collect broken things. I give them a purpose, a home, shelter, and food. I give them a better life than they had before. I simply collect and fix the things no one else wants. The ones that no one will help or no one can understand. They're only lost, confused, scared, and hurt. I was the only one willing to take care of them. I won't dive too far into their pasts, but know that they've been in your position once." He responds, staring at the wall. "Please, no more personal questions."

This catches you off guard and suddenly you felt bad for being afraid when you first met him. Now you were able to see that Cross was right, he isn't as scary as he seems anymore. "Can you tell me who 'they' are? Your broken things?" You questioned, trying to guide the conversation away from your invasive question.

Nightmare thinks for a moment, "Well there's four other skeletons here, you've met Dust and Cross already. The only ones left would be Killer and Horror. I'm sure you'll run into them once you're a bit better."

Killer and Horror? Those names alone were intimidating. Surely they can't be as scary as they sound, especially considering what Nightmare said before. You open your mouth to speak again but we're quickly interrupted, "Eat. Your soup is getting cold."

Realizing he was right you tried to eat despite not being too hungry. The second you swallowed a spoonful of the soup you realized you were starving and you quickly finished the bowl. It had to have been the best chicken soup you've had in years.

Nightmare takes your bowl when you finish and he leaves. "Now rest. You need it." He instructed you as he closes the door.

You lay back onto the bed, staring at the ceiling quietly. Despite being so tired, it was hard to fall asleep. Every time you close your eyes to try and sleep you picture home. Flashes of falling debris fill your mind. It seemed as if you'd never fall asleep

Before you knew it, dull sunlight filtered into the room. To your surprise you did doze off. Your body aches as you sit up and try to figure out where you were. It took a few moments for you to recall the events from yesterday. The thought of it made your stomach knot up again with grief.

You get out of bed and stretch gingerly. Your sides sting when you reach your arms up, making you wince. You hold your side gently as you get up and head to your door. As you open it up dust was standing on the other side of the door, as if he was about to knock. "Oh, Hi Dust."

"(Y/N). I was told to take you to breakfast." He said in a monotone voice. You nod and follow Dust down to the kitchen.

As you turn the corner you froze up, seeing two new skeletons chatting away, neither noticing you yet. One wore a simple hood, similar to Dust's and his eyes were dropping with black, no eye lights visible. The other one had a hoodie with a fluffy hood, it looked dark and dirty, his single eye light was dark red and his striking features were a huge hole in his skull and he towered over the others by an extreme amount. Now that you saw all five of the skeletons in the same room they looked like a terrifying gang.

Cross was the first to see you and he nudged Nightmare who was making coffee. Nightmare turns around and gives you a small half smile, "Ah, morning (Y/N). Hope you slept well." Nightmare's acknowledgment of you made the other two turn around to look at you. They almost looked at you like a piece of prey. "You two idiots stop staring and introduce yourselves before I make you clean the outside of the castle."