Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 18

Quinn

The early morning hours had been busy with us hustling and bustling, doing the last of the packing, and once done, we bid farewell to Quinn and Eva at their headstones, and of course, the dilapidated cottage that was home, and headed toward Bedford Manor. Hence, here we were in a fancy bedroom with an attached sitting room, getting ready for my wedding ceremony.

I tucked my short curls behind my ear as I gazed at myself through the full-length mirror. Though I knew Quinn, or rather I, was beautiful, I had to admit I was even more so, breathtaking in fact, in a bridal gown of my choosing and making. It was an elegant long-sleeved princess dress with a structured sweetheart bodice on a ball gown silhouette. The airy tulle created a dreamy effect, and with the embroidered lace and beading, the gown was exceptionally majestic. Of course, the color was white with a little splash of red, giving a nod to my Chinese heritage. This was the gown I had always dreamed of wearing for my own wedding day.

Wait! This was my wedding day, wasn't it?

Suddenly, I felt butterflies in my stomach once again. I still couldn't believe I was getting married to a man I had never even seen or met. I was indeed getting married at first sight.

"You look beautiful," Elizabeth said, adjusting the floral ornament in my hair.

I glanced at her and smiled. "Thank you."

Maria wrapped her arms around mine and rested her head on my shoulder. Despite looking stunning in her velvet gown, she wore an expression of concern. She said, "Are you nervous, Quinn?"

"Just a little," I said.

"I'm scared for you."

I chuckled. "Don't be. There's nothing we can do now."

She said, "You have to kiss him, don't you? Your new husband?"

"You mean during the ceremony?" I asked. "I suppose so." Instantly, I conjured an image of a middle-aged man with rotten teeth and foul breath, and I felt my stomach turn.

Cheek! I'd let him kiss me on the cheek, I decided. And I will not allow him to touch me. I will torture him with my magic if he so much as laid his hands on me.

Turning on my heel, I said, "Shall we get going? Lord Bedford is probably breaking out in a cold sweat that I'm taking this long to show myself. It's practically nearly noon."

"Let him stew in his worries," Maria said. "It's not our problem."

Goodness, with only three weeks of my presence and influence, Maria was already thinking and acting like a modern gal and not a commoner living in a medieval-like world with distinct social classes. She learned fast.

With our arms linked, me in the middle and Elizabeth and Maria on either side of me, we headed into the sitting room. Liam and Mrs. Ross stood when they saw us. They both appeared nervous as hell.

I flicked my gaze to Liam, noting that he looked absolutely dashing in a modern three-piece suit of my creation of navy-blue trousers, a white shirt, a fancy navy-blue vest, jacket, and tie, to go with Maria's and Elizabeth's elegant navy-blue velvet gowns.

"You're absolutely breathtaking, Quinn," Mrs. Ross said as she wiped tears from her eyes. "I... never thought I'd get to see you in a gown."

Elizabeth chuckled. "She is stunning, isn't she?"

Ten minutes later, we arrived at the Bedford's chapel within the estate. Mr. Gray, the butler, widened his eyes in astonishment the moment he saw us, or rather me, and gasped. "Quinn? Is that really you?"