Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 54

Quinn

Once Vincent took his seat again, I continued with the meeting. I said, "As everyone knows, the secondary health check was today. Besides doing the normal blood examination to check vitamin and mineral levels, eyesight and aptitude tests have been added."

"Does that explain why some of the children are wearing what is called the eyeglasses, my lady?" Gladys asked.

I nodded. "Being able to see is one of the five important senses, and no one should be at a disadvantage because they are born with poor eyesight, or as they get older."

"That's right," Uncle Colt said, nudging his glasses up the bridge of his nose. I admit he looked rather paradoxical yet kind of adorable, a mighty big man that he was donning a pair of delicate, round spectacles, which reminded me of Santa. He even had the long white beard, too.

Wait! Santa? I shifted my gaze to the window, noticing the snow falling against the backdrop of the darkness outside.

"My lady?" Gladys called out softly.

I turned to her. "Uh?"

"Are you all right?" Elizabeth asked.

"Yes, I'm fine." Clearing my throat, I said, "Where were we?"

"Eyesight and eyeglasses, my lady," Nellie said.

"Ah, yes, that's right," I said, chuckling awkwardly.

I couldn't believe my mind went wandering during an important meeting. But it just felt so Christmassy with the snow and Uncle Colt.

"Right, I better stop thinking about something else."

"Were you thinking about something else?" Frances asked.

"Yes, sorry. I saw Uncle Colt with his glasses and white beard, and it reminds me of a certain someone who always brings joy to everyone, especially the children. The snow outside adds to that."

Uncle Colt raised a brow. "I see I look like this special someone back in your homeland, lassie?"

I nodded. "His name is Santa Claus, and he's not a real person or anything. He's just this figure that brings joy and happiness to everyone during a certain time of the year, and in my homeland it's always during the winter season and snow."

"Is that so?" Mark asked.

"Mm-hmm." I nodded. "It's a celebration of sorts when families come together. It's called Christmas, a holiday, and families and friends would have a grand dinner together and give each other presents. We'd have a tree decorated and the presents would be under the tree."

"Sounds like a lovely festivity," Eden said. "If we have that here, the children would love it."

The women nodded at that.

Aldric said, "Why don't we follow your homeland festivity and bring Christmas into Norsewood?"

Mark said, "We can mark it as a day of our new beginning and make it Norsewood's holiday as well."

Caine said, "That's a good idea. Norsewood needs important days to celebrate. We've been through so much disaster and hardship. It'll bring vigor to our region, especially when it's during winter."

Aldric said, "Then we'll have a Christmas day in Norsewood as a winter festival."

"Really? We can have Christmas day as a celebration here?" I asked, my eyes on Aldric.

He nodded. "Mm-hmm."

I clasped my hands together. "Then we'll mark December twenty-fifth as Christmas Day."