Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 33

Quinn

The next day was the usual routine with me doing my duties as the Lady of Norsewood, running the kitchen and guiding the staff in preparing meals, checking on everyone to see if they needed anything, and taking care of the new arrivals who were severely injured.

Yes, there were continuously new arrivals since now that the monster subjugation team had returned, there were more minibus carriages to rescue the stranded civilians across Norsewood. It was this day, too, when the first seven cases of influenza made appearances. I had known it was going to happen since it was winter, and we now had more than one thousand people living and sharing a small space.

"My lady!" It was Mr. Lark, one of the new arrivals. He came begging while coughing, his eyes red and his skin pale. "Please, help my family. Everyone has been very sickly. Please help them."

"It's the winter disease," Frances said. "What are we going to do?"

"We're going to lose many lives again," Eden said.

Winter disease. I suspected they meant the flu.

I said, "Take me to them."

The Larks were a family of seven, Mr. Lark and his wife and three children ranging in age from seven to thirteen, and his elderly parents. All of them were coughing, their skin pale, their eyes and noses red and runny. The parents and the youngest looked like they had fevers, too.

Knowing how contagious the flu virus was, I summoned my magic circle and created a bottle of hand sanitizer and a box of face masks. I put the face mask on the lower half of my face and then squeezed a drop of sanitizer on my palms rubbing it into my skin.

Eden asked, "Why are you wearing that?"

"I suspect it's the flu. Since the virus can be quite contagious, I need to be careful and protect myself," I said.

"You know what it is?" Sara asked, her eyes wide.

"Yes." To Mr. Lark, I said, "It looks like you have been infected as well. Can you please tell me what your symptoms are?" Meanwhile, I began examining the youngest, Sam, since he appeared to be suffering the most.

Mr. Lark said, "I've been having this cough for a couple of days now. My throat is sore, and I've been feeling out of sorts."

"Do you feel the chill?" I asked.

"Chill?"

"Cold," I said.

"Well, it's winter, my lady," he said.

"I mean even when the room is warm, do you still feel cold? Sometimes you can get vomiting and diarrhea, too."

"My parents had vomiting and diarrhea," he said.

"Then it's influenza," I said. "I'm going to test Sam's and everyone's blood to see what type of strand it is."

It didn't seem he understood what I meant, and neither did Eden, Frances, and Sara. I summoned my magic analyzer and pharmaceutical circle and a finger-prick pen. Young Sam was pretty out of it as I pricked his finger and dropped the blood into the circle. As everyone watched in fascination, the circle analyzed the boy's blood, and within seconds, results popped up. At the bottom, the diagnosis stated, apart from all the vitamins and minerals Sam was deficient in: Viral infection.

In my head, Vicky stated: Would you like to analyze the strands and produce vaccines?

Since I didn't want people to think it was strange of me to be talking to myself, I stated in my head: Yes.