Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 75

If he thought the exterior of the building was grand, then the interior was even more so, and Juan felt like he was walking on cloud nine as Sara led him across the foyer to the courtyard garden and then into a small magical room that took them up to the fifth floor of the intricate building. There was bright crystal light everywhere, and he wondered how in heaven Aldric could afford all these luxuries when they had been living in squalor before.

Suddenly he was in a large, extravagant room which Sara referred to as his apartment unit, and he noted that the sitting room was very fine with luxurious furniture and upholstery.

Sara pushed him down onto a long, soft seating, and suddenly, he realized that the place was filled with his relatives—Uncle Colt, Aldric, Mark, Eden, Sara, and even Frances, Miles, and Caine. Liam was there, too, and...

He widened his eyes at the sight of a beauty in front of him. Silver-blond hair, green eyes, and a face made for dreams. Though he admitted she was a bit on the small size, and despite her obvious loveliness, he also admitted she was not his type.

His type? He preferred someone more robust, tall, and lean and...

He flicked his gaze to Liam who presented him Red in his hands. "He seems a bit overwhelmed with all the people and the new environment, so maybe being close to someone he's familiar with might calm him down."

Red jumped onto his lap, burrowing his face against his belly. He chuckled and stroked the little guy's head. "It's all right. We're home."

Once Red finally calmed down, the petite beauty, who had claimed a seat next to him, said, "I know you must be tired, but I believe your family won't relax until they know you're really fine."

Juan stared at the young woman and then asked, "Who are you? I've never seen you before."

Sara slapped him on the shoulder and said, "Is that how you greet your sister-in-law?"

Smiling pleasantly, the beauty said, "I'm Quinn Fairchild, Aldric's wife."

Juan widened his eyes, shocked. "Aldric's wife? You're Liam's cousin?"

Quinn nodded. "Yes, I am. And now I'm going to examine your health, all right?"

He watched as she summoned a circle and took out a device. She pricked his finger with that strange thing and then dropped his blood into the circle. By this point, Juan had had enough being stunned. First it was Aldric with elemental magic, then this magnificent building that apparently was their new home, and now Aldric's bride with magic. He decided then he'd need a good night's rest to fully wrap his head around all the new changes that suddenly appeared in his life.

"You're quite healthy though lacking in the usual," Quinn said. "There's no infection of any kind, so sisters, please rest easy." She handed him a small bottle of something. "This is your supplement. Please take one a day for the next seven days and make sure to complete the course."

"What is it for?" he asked.

"It's for your health," Sara said. "You'll know the difference after you've taken the magical pills."

"The pills are magical?" Juan asked, astounded. No, he was stunned again, he decided. After all, there was no such thing as magical pills. If there were, then it'd surely be a miracle.

"Of course, it is," Sara said.

"Can you look straight into this circle?" Quinn said, which Juan did. A moment later, she said, "Perfect vision."

Perfect vision? Was that circle measuring his eyesight?

Eden said, "Check his status, Quinn."

"Now?" Quinn asked. She turned to Aldric who nodded his head. Then to Juan, she asked, "Do you want to check your status?"