Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 43

Quinn

It had been one month since we moved into Norsewood Lodge, and since then, there was always a hype of activities as everyone was getting used to their new, temporary home and exploring the place.

The kitchen, compared to the other facilities, was most busy as it was large with modern appliances the staff had never seen or worked with before. I had to spend the first few days giving them an orientation and demonstration and then that whole week watching them work. There were manuals and videos made by Vicky, too, so that helped in speeding up the learning process. We also set up staff rosters, menus, and procedures. Since we had more mouths to feed now, there was also more staff working in the kitchen, too, and because they were handling food, safety and uniforms were implemented. Surprisingly, they seemed to like the chef uniform, and at times, paraded about the lodge in them with pride.

When I had some free time, I'd stepped into the woodwork and blacksmith shops and greenhouse, which were located away from the main buildings. Mr. Lamont—whom I now called by his first name, Robert, on his relentless insistence—along with Mr. Lark, whom I now called by his first name of David, and their men, were already hard at work and looking as pleased as could be. Mr. Henley—or rather Darell—on the other hand, had looked so very dazed that I was rather worried. His men, though, seemed to be excited and wasted no time before exploring their new workshop, studying the forges, equipment, weapons, and other metalware on display.

Curious as to why Darell was so bewildered, I sat beside him and asked, "What's the matter?"

"Uh, my lady," he said. "I..."

"Are you not satisfied with the workshop?"

He shook his head. "No," he said. "Rather..." He scanned around him once more. "I'm overwhelmed. I didn't imagine our workshop could be this... extensive with all the equipment..."

I chuckled. "But you like it?"

He nodded. "Oh, yes, my lady, very much so."

"Then I'm glad," I said.

The greenhouse was a massive structure made entirely of glass and steel with an attached building for classrooms, offices, and workspace. It was warm inside, naturally, and I found Mr. Ingram—whom I now called Kent, also being on a first-name basis—and his men exploring and staring wide-eyed at the range of vegetation before them.

I had to thank Vicky for replicating the fruit and vegetable plants that were popular back on Earth. I spotted some banana trees, mangoes, avocados, persimmons, and many other temperate, subtropical, and tropical ones, too. If any of these could grow in Norsewood, it'd be a life-changer since it'd increase the variety of fruits and vegetables in our diet. Besides, most of Earth's fruits and vegetables were absolutely delicious.

"My lady," Kent said.

"How do you like the greenhouse?" I asked.

"It's..." He looked around him. "Spectacular, my lady. I didn't expect it to be this... extensive."

Ah, that word again. Extensive. Well, I admit the scale was immense, which was just me as I had the unhealthy habit of going overboard and making things larger and more extravagant than the initial plan. Scanning around me, I'd say we could commercially farm in here and supply some fresh fruits and vegetables to feed the residents in the lodge all year round.

"And those plants," he said.

"They're from... my hometown," I said. "Although I don't know if they'll grow well here due to the weather. Most of those are what we call subtropical and tropical plants, and they need a lot of sun."