Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 55

Quinn

I nodded. "Yes. According to Vicky, it has something to do with using the magic." I summoned my circle, and Vicky materialized, her form hovering above the table. I said, "Can you explain, Vicky?"

Vicky curtsied. Indeed, my lady. Turning to her audience, she stated, Using magic requires mana, and it is dangerous for those with a low level to recklessly train in magic. Mana vein runs through one's body, and the drainage of mana can destroy the veins, hence, causing bodily deterioration that cannot be reversed. That is why a mana level of at least fifty is necessary.

Theo asked, "Are there methods to increase mana level?"

There are. Various kingdoms have created items an individual can wear that boost mana level, but such items are mediocre, and the mana does not last, as once it is used up, it is gone and cannot be replenished. Increasing mana level through natural means is more effective, as it raises storage capacity within one's body. For example, if one was born with a mana level of ten, then through natural means, one can raise the capacity to twenty. Once the mana is depleted, a simple rest would recharge the mana to twenty again, instead of the ten as with the mana enhancer items. Mana is available everywhere, in the air and in every living plant in this world. One simply needs to sense it and absorb it through meditation and training.

Norsewood, St. Kilda, and St. Clair to the west; Durham, Devon, Bulwell, and Chilton to the southwest; Blackfield region of monsters to the north; Ograd nation of the snow elves, Wodria nation of the wood elves, Oswia nation of the valley elves, and Cliasa nation of the one-horn demons to the northeast; and Egral nation of the mountain dwarves to the east, all have high-tier mana quality as there is no or low air pollution.

"Air pollution?" Robert said.

Vicky stated, Air pollution is the toxicity in the air that destroys the natural existence of mana.

I said, "Does it have something to do with waste?"

Indeed, my lady.

"What does that mean, Quinn?" Aldric asked.

I said, "Waste products from burning wood and coal used for cooking and everyday living released into the air can destroy the natural mana is what Vicky is saying."

Darell said, "We use wood and coal as part of blacksmithing."

"And cooking and living in general," Gladys said. "Are we contributing to this air pollution, my lady?"

I said, "You may have used wood and coal before, yet Vicky stated that Norsewood has high-quality mana, so it probably doesn't affect the air as much since the population of Norsewood is small. Since I've arrived, we have not been using any wood or coal. It is mana, more specifically my mana, that we use to cook and heat the lodge through all the magical equipment and tools."

"Ah, yes," Gladys said. "It is indeed done through your magic, my lady."

Theo said, "Other regions, towns, and cities, especially the capital of St. George, uses wood and coal for everything. The air is thick with smog. Undoubtedly, the natural mana must be very poor there."

Vicky stated, St. George is one of the poorest in Athol where mana quality is concerned. Mana quality is also affected by dark mana, which results from sickness and diseases.

"I see. That, too," I said. "Sounds like it's important to keep sickness and diseases spreading to a minimum."

Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Regarding this mana enhancer," Robert said. "I didn't know the kingdom has such items."

"We have seen many knights with those in the capital," Vincent said. "It comes as part of their armors, weapons, or accessories."