xxix. get your head out the gutter!

chapter twenty nine ━ don't deceive me (please don't go)season seven, episode thirteen

chapter twenty nine don't deceive me
(please don't go)
season seven, episode thirteen

❝ that resolution
was so last year. ❞

trigger warning!
this chapter has characters
who suffer from alzheimer's

"Can you believe it?" A grin of joy spread across Aliya's face, her voice close to a breathy whisper as she followed Derek down the stairs, remaining as quiet as possible so they did not wake Meredith, which equated to waking a sleeping lion.

It seemed Meredith was the furthest from pleased at the start of the clinical trial, seeing as she wasn't actually on it.

Derek looked over his shoulder as they walked into the kitchen, simultaneously buttoning up the cuffs of his blue shirt. "Can you?"

"Today is finally the day." Aliya enthused.

The only option the pair had was to sneak out whilst everyone else in the house slept soundly, killing multiple metaphorical birds with one theoretical stone. They wouldn't annoy Meredith even more than Derek already had by barring her from the trial, they could get a head start on preparing for the first said clinical trial patient and, the probability of running into a particular Adonis all morning breath and dreary clad in tartan pyjama pants like he was in the mornings, lowered by about a solid seventy percent.

Reaching for the coffee filters and more grounds of her favourite coffee brand she treated herself to a box of in the grocery store, Aliya began making a fresh pot of coffee, still with that excited and determined look on her face. You would think she had just been given a full Barbie Dreamhouse, like her Grandmother gave her for her eighth birthday that was still stashed away in her closet back in California. That thing was a relic, there was no way she was ever getting rid of it. "It felt like we're going to be buried under that pile of paperwork and draft outlines forever."

Derek laughed, softly, retrieving a bowl from the hutch and reaching for his muesli from the countertop, pouring it into the bowl. "It sure seemed like it." He agreed, opening the refrigerator and unscrewing the cap of the milk.

She reached to the top shelf, grabbing two mugs from the cupboard whilst the coffee brewed. "John Driscoll is a truly marvellous man."

"There needs to be more John Driscoll's in the world."

"I wholeheartedly agree." Setting a mug of coffee in front of Derek, Aliya took a seat on the stool beside him, holding her own mug of scolding hot coffee in her hands as the two made eye contact, clinking their coffee mugs together, wide and giddy smiles adorning their faces.