xxxiii. sucker punch!

chapter thirty three ━ this is how we do itseason seven, episode seventeen

chapter thirty three this is how we do it
season seven, episode seventeen

❝ i should really stop drinking,
it never does me any favours. ❞

"You're living in a trailer now?" Aliya stood in the pouring rain, an umbrella over her head as she raised a judgemental brow at what her eyes were currently staring at.

It was not everyday you saw your best friend living in the hospital parking lot. In Derek's trailer. Taking up three whole parking spaces in the process.

Alex Karev was brushing his teeth on the front step in his pyjamas, watching the cars pull in, he had saw Aliya's red mini, so he chose to sit out on the front step, waiting for her to inevitably see him.

Aliya knew something was up when she ran into Alex's room this morning, to see his bed actually made for once in his four years living in that house, and also his toothbrush missing from the bathroom.

And his shoes were no longer dotted around the hall. Which was always suspicious.

"Yeah." Alex replied, with a mouthful of toothpaste, dripping down his chin which made Aliya cringe at the sight.

The brunette woman blinked, training her eyes along the sides of Derek's, now very old and beat up, trailer — still needing some more explanations. She could still see the dent on the side from Mark's beer bottle. "And why is that?"

"Well, you know, we're in the race for chief resident." He shrugged and stopped brushing his teeth, spitting the toothpaste out disgustingly onto the concrete, holding the toothbrush in his hand. Aliya watched him as he did it, the lump of toothpaste on the ground distracting her completely out of the corner of her eye. "I get to the surgeries first. I'm here when the chief arrives—"

Bringing her thermal coffee cup to her lips, she kept her eyes fixed on him.

It wasn't necessarily a bad idea. The race for Chief resident was on, from the med student tests, to spots on clinical trials, they were so clearly being assessed.

For the past two years, Aliya had been writing articles for an online medical journal about various different cases, the statistics on various different conditions etc. in her free time so her name could at least be considered for Chief resident. For example, in her second year she wrote an article on the microscopic worms in her patients brain.

It was hard not to think years into the future when someone was constantly doing it for you.

"It's a smart idea when you think about it." Alex cut in, inviting her inside the trailer with a wave of his hand. "Plus, when the chiefs trial funding comes in, I have an upper hand. Come have a look."