ALL HANDS ON DECK

~||Omah lay- bad influence||~
you don scatter my plans...now I      know you lie

ANITA'S POV

If being an African is big then let other ....

   A conversation I had no reason to care about, my mom and elder brother always talking about anything that can end in a  heated argument, either about this country or olden  days music being better than current love songs and it's funny how serious they'll be ,rather than the simple conversation that was thought to have happen.

    Here I am seated alone at the back seat of the car, a black 2019 Toyota Camry , and  not caring about my family just lost in my thoughts, thinking of how I would  have made tiny twist on my hair with attachment now I'm in my last days of SS 3 life, but instead stuck to the usual all back.
Every one would have made a nicer hair, I know I'm meant to be thinking of other serious things but I can't help it.

“Anita oya come down oOoOO !” My mother shouts.

When my brother Emmanuel looks at her.
“why are you shouting like that naaa?, he says with his brows up.
before her school people would now be looking at the car.”

My mother replys looking at my brother with her eyes all glared up
“didn't you hear when I told her calmly the first time but I don't know if she has children she's thinking of she could not hear me nor see we have reached her school. You don't know how to use your ears and eyes anymore” she says turning to me.

Sorry ma I say opening the door and trying to move fast so I wouldn't hear her ranting cause she would surely bring up the extra meat I took yesterday and the rice I burnt to brown 3 years ago and  the... I breath out in ease seeing I'm far enough , this woman would not kill me I say shaking my head with my left hand on my waist.

I'm Anita, 16 years old, a last born with two older  ones, my brother Emmanuel who is the oldest and my immediate elder sister Harmony , I'm from Delta the southern part of Nigeria and I'm 5'4, I think I'm not growing anymore yeah, anyways I'm a proud shorty , Ebony skin with  brown cat like eyes , long lashes , big forehead with little hair over my eyes, it's meant to be identified as my eyebrows but it's too small it barely exist, well I have a big nose with pumped up cherry lips.

“Let us go jare.”
I turn my back on hearing a familiar voice, to see my best friend Tosin , his voice deeper  than usual and suddenly taller than usual too. I've always been shorter but he's never been this tall.

ahah ahah he looks at me making that familiar Nigerian sound when he blurts out 
“did somebody grow taller.”
common shut up I say  knowing his trying to mock me.

You're here playing on words when assembly is about to start, waitooo  how is it possible you're attending assembly?, I realize seeing it's Tosin. The Tosin I remember has been on the record of late comers , Tosin what happened I say looking at him as we walk to the assembly ground.

“what happened to what?” he replies.

why are you early ?

he laughs saying after the wahala that caused the impromptu break I am now a changed person and I laugh along

Tosin ! I call out his name

“Ma?

Shouldn't we be running?

“we are in SS 3 now, I can't be running like a jss2 student and if you run no one would know the difference between you and a jss3 student.”

Tosin I hate you

I know he says laughing

At the assembly - Mrs Judith addresses  student.

A hall with seat arrangement according to class, white walls with book drawings on it.
Blue plastic chairs and students seating with teachers at one side watching them closely

    Good day every one, as the principal I'm here to  remind you what the rules are , seeing it's only the first day and the impromptu break is over, I'll pardon you all but from next week it wouldn't be tolerated, old students thank the new ones for this grace cause I see no reason why you do this every year. Defiling the laws, oh well it would be read to everyone in their classes again and teachers take note of the students.

The ones dressed well already and the ones thinking of not coming to school till the next one or two weeks, we wait for no one, class must commence from today with your revisions for the coming school exam.

      SS 3 students don't think I have forgotten you, because WAEC is over it doesn't mean you wouldn't still be learning , I know you must be thinking you have just arrived and you'll finally be leaving secondary school but more awaits you outside secondary school, more that comes with the good and bad times,you'll need proper grooming
"University no be come chop" I say in my mind while paying attention.

think of only important things to occupy your head and hands, all hands on deck, all the teachers would come and talk to you soon also about the extra compulsory lessons from 4:pm to 6:pm, the rest would be told to you all later but for now all I'll be saying to you is put your head in the game, focus my students, all hands must be on deck, don't ruin the schools name or reputation in the name of secondary school graduates, until you are given your certificate  you must maintain absolute decorum.

    Further more school fees drive would take place from next week  and tell your friends to start coming to school instead of staying at home and prolonging a holiday that has ended. Cane might be introduced next term as I see students this term misbehaving with confidence because of the rule of no flogging ,oh well that is that. I hope you all enjoyed your holiday for every  holiday must always have limited time , welcome back prestige student of primer academy.

Evey other rule would be announced next week when all students must have been said to come thank you.

As the assembly finally dismisses I walk out with Tosin, oya come let's go and hide somewhere and eat before any teacher comes to force us to learn or start giving a long speech on responsibility  I say to Tosin.
Eyes widened and with his brows up he turns to face me saying , didn't you hear Mrs Judith "all hands on deck"

Waitooo when did you become so serious Tosin besides I brought beans to school and I know Davis must have bread with him , Biko let's gooo

“This is why you don't have sense , I wonder how you have  A's.”

“Jazz my brother follow me and I'll show you way.”

“Brother niiii he says looking at me

Before what ? I say turning to him hands folded and a firm voice

“Normally is loyal servant you used to call me with your big head.”

“You have mind because I allowed you graduate from loyal slave to brother.”

See your head like abandoned sacrifice “I allowed you graduate” he adds saying with a low  pitch to mock my voice.

“Animal.”

As we go back and forth insulting each other we get to our class so we can pick a seat at the back. Usually smart students come first week to pick the front seat but it's not like we're dumb for picking the back seat , we just like the comfort of the less attention given,Tosin and I are both art students thankfully.

Gently walking into the class when Mrs Judith stops me.

“Your graduation party is in the next two weeks, I hope you have made your speech and confronted your mother.”

Yess of course ma I say biting my lips,
Okay she says and walks away, of  course I lied.

No be me go put sand sand for my own garri.

*******

All things present has a playlist for all interested readers

https://audiomack.com/alabs-sugar-baby/playlist/all-things-present-1

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6bqLnqEIwddU0hnDTmYZeJ?si=apDU4gJCSWqpWZrApUXlGg

If you're on Audomack or Spotify get involved, the effect is great

You can listen to it while reading
🦋🔥🦋