Chapter 2

There was something seriously wrong with me. My brain most likely had unscrewed bolts, worms in my ears, and moths obstructing my common sense. All of them were mostly false, but I had to come up with the most ridiculous justification for my utterly stupid behaviour.

The course of the evening appeared to have become predictable. I was cordial and limited conversations to a minimum; I only exchanged a few pleasantries with people who really irked me. They believed that they were entitled to everything, and that everyone who was under them was nothing more than a particle of dirt.

My whole degree was based on the premises of protecting such people. Yet, unknown to them, I honed my skills and knowledge, expanded it in a way that when I was ready to be a whistle-blower, no one would see me coming. These pitiful people were the only ones who were deserving of being locked up. 

At the double doors, a server emerged out of nowhere to announce the start of dinner. I was fortunate to be right next to the table and immediately moved there to find a suitable seat. The most important lesson I took away from all of these events was that individuals give their seating choices a lot of thought.

My uncle was already standing near to the chairs and motioning for me to approach when my legs abruptly came to a stop.

Oh no way.

One seat was vacant as I rapidly examined the table. Whether the world had a whole agenda for me to fail or not, I would personally like to know. Given how little options I had, I sat down in the chair that seemed to be empty for the remainder of the evening.

I took a deep breath through my nostrils, sitting down with my legs crossed and my clasped hands resting on my lap. My posture screamed elegance and collected, yet I was anything but that.

I knew it was stupid when I decided sitting next to Claud would save me from any sort of humiliation. I felt that Claud, with his raised lip and frosty gaze, was the finest option among the group of sleazy men battling it out to sit beside me.

Claud gave a resounding round of applause as soon as my ass plopped down on the cushioned dining chair. Along with a few others, my head shot in his way as I tried to figure out why he was drawing attention to himself.

"If the Princess herself isn't sitting next to me."

I gave everyone a faint, forced grin as I quickly peered around the table, or as much as I could see considering it was likely the largest table in the city. 

"Stop clapping," I pleaded at Claud, ignoring the prickling consuming my exposed neck.

"But you need a warm welcome." He remarked, having the audacity to sound genuinely surprised. "This is the first time you've sat next to me."

Claud stopped clapping at this point, and everyone began to ruminate among themselves."You seem like my best bet today." I mumbled under my breath as I gently placed the immaculate napkin on my legs after removing it from my plate.