Chapter 17

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"You know damn right what I'm talking about," Nate sneered from above me.

I pushed him off me and sat up in bed, my body pulsing with shock and anger.

"You can't be in my room. What do you think you're doing?" I exclaimed, with a mix of anger and frustration in my voice. "This is my private space, and I don't want anyone coming in here without my permission."

"As if you respect people's privacy. As if you respected mine." Nate moved away from the bed, his body so tense and seething with anger. "How you exposed my family to the world. Do you have any idea what you have done?"

I was taken aback by the accusations, that I physically reared my head back.

"Nate, what are you talking about?" I asked, my voice filled with confusion. I stood up from my bed, my hands on my hips, trying to understand what was happening. "What do you mean I exposed your family to the world?"

"You know exactly what I mean, Ellie," Nate said, his voice filled with anger. He pointed an accusing finger at me, his body tensed as if ready for a fight. "You shared my family's story online and now everyone knows what we've been through."

"I would never do that, Nate," I said, my eyes wide with shock. I took a step back, feeling as though I had been punched in the stomach. "I never looked into your family or you."

"Well, it's out there now," Nate said, his voice filled with frustration. He ran a hand through his hair, pacing back and forth in front of me. "And it's all your fault."

"Nate, I swear I had nothing to do with this," I said, my voice trembling with emotion. "I would never betray your trust like that. We're friends, remember?"

Nate stopped pacing and looked at me, his eyes filled with a mixture of anger and disbelief. I could see the hurt and pain in his eyes, and it broke my heart. Whatever was published online must be severely damaging. What was worse is that, I had no clue who he really was. I guess the people online knew more than me.

"I need to see it for myself," Nate said, his voice cold and distant. He turned to leave my room, but I reached out to stop him.

"Nate, please," I said, my voice choking with tears. "I didn't do this. You have to believe me. I would never hurt you or your family like that."

But Nate just shook his head and continued walking out of my room, leaving me feeling lost and alone. I sank back down onto my bed, tears streaming down my face. How could this have happened?

I sat there for what felt like hours, trying to make sense of what had just happened. Eventually, I got up and went to my computer, determined to find out what had happened and clear my name.

But as I scrolled through social media, my heart sank. There it was, in black and white - a post about Nate's family, including details I had no cluse about. I felt sick to my stomach.

Nate. Living with his parents.

I see an image of a woman. Her beauty was both striking and effortless. Her skin was like porcelain, smooth and unblemished. Her eyes were a stunning shade of emerald green and she was smiling in the picture.

Her hair was a rich shade of chestnut brown, cascading down her back in loose waves.

I see the headlines. So big and loud.

Dead.

This woman was dead.

Death by suicide.

I see a picture of Nate below hers, smiling and looking so young and youthful.