Chapter 25

"Sorry, but I don't need any help with anything." I said, this time making sure my voice was stern. For added measure, I willed my facial features to resemble and ice block. He needed to stop this dangerous conversation right this second.

A part of me hoped he understood that I did not want to carry out this conversation in my father's office. Although I extensive checked all the corners possible in my office for any hidden camera's... my father was too slick of a man to let that bypass him. My office was bugged. I just knew it. But I did not know where.

Nate slightly raised one dark eyebrow before he tilted his head my way. A silent goodbye. A silent way to show me that he was not done with this conversation.

If he just knew how much I wanted him not to be done.

I leaned back in my chair, resting my head against the cool leather as I exhaled slowly. The events of the day had been overwhelming, and my mind was still spinning from my conversation with Nate.

As I sat there, I couldn't help but feel grateful for his support. Nate had offered to help me take my father down, but the risks were high. The thought of going up against my own father made me feel sick to my stomach.

I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts. I needed to focus. If I was going to take my father down, I had to be smart about it. I couldn't let my emotions cloud my judgement.

Opening my eyes, I gazed out of the window at the city skyline. The sun was setting, casting a warm orange glow across the skyscrapers. I watched as the lights flickered on, one by one, like tiny fireflies dancing in the dusk.

The peaceful scene outside was in stark contrast to the chaos in my mind. I needed to come up with a plan, and fast. But for now, I just needed a moment to collect myself and gather my thoughts.

After taking a few more deep breaths, I sat up and straightened my posture. It was time to get back to work.

I grasped the phone and dialed Carol's number. She was in charge of the land registry office and was a crucial contact for me. I needed to ascertain whether the papers I had sent her about the sale of my land to the company had been received and processed.

As the phone rang, I twirled a strand of hair around my finger nervously. What if there was an issue with the papers? What if my father had somehow intercepted them?

"Hello, this is Carol speaking," the voice on the other end of the line answered.

"Hi Carol, it's Ellie," I greeted, attempting to maintain my composure.

"Ellie, good to hear from you. What can I do for you today?" she responded.

"I just wanted to check if you received the papers I sent you about the sale of my land to the company?" I inquired, trying to sound relaxed.

There was a brief pause before Carol spoke again. "Yes, Ellie, I received the papers a few days ago. Everything is in order, and the sale has been processed."

I breathed a sigh of relief. "That's fantastic news, Carol. Thank you for letting me know."

"No problem, Ellie. Is there anything else you require assistance with?" she offered.

I considered her offer before responding. "Not at the moment, but I'll keep you in mind if I need anything else. Thanks again, Carol.

"We exchanged our goodbyes, and I replaced the phone on the cradle. The sale of my land to the company was a pivotal part of my plan to bring my father down. With that taken care of, I could proceed with the next step.

After hanging up the phone, I let out a deep breath, feeling relieved and grateful that the sale of my land had gone through smoothly. It was scary to have taken that step, knowing that any misstep or miscommunication could have had dire consequences.