5.

Austin Carmichael

.
.
.

I waltz through the huge hallway with a wide smile plastered on my face and the watering can clutched in my hand

I waltz through the huge hallway with a wide smile plastered on my face and the watering can clutched in my hand. I just finished watering the flowers in the backyard. After thoroughly exploring the entire mansion one day, I learned that it also has a garden and since I haven't watered the flowers in a while, I decided to do it today because I'm in a good mood.

It's Saturday

And it has quickly become my most favorite day of the week. The only day I look forward to lately.

"Good morning. Here you go" I greet Jerry with a smile which he responds to before taking the watering can I hand to him. I forgot where that goes so he'll take care of it. He works here.

"Did you sleep well, mr. Austin?"

"It's just Austin, Jerry....or Aussie. Whatever you like. I don't really mind. And yeah, I slept great. Thanks for asking. Did you sleep well too?" I ask feeling a bit surprised that he actually spoke to me directly.

The last time he said something to me was when he was letting me know that they're not allowed to engage in small talks with me, order from mum. I guess it's because we're going in the same direction and the hallway is extremely quiet. The only sound to be heard is that of our footsteps. It was starting to get a little awkward.

"It's actually mrs. Vivienne's orders to address you as sir. No need to correct me. It's to no avail. I too slept well, sir. Thank you for asking. Agh, this is where I go left. Have a nice day" he tips his hat before walking away and I sigh looking at him go in his suit.

I've been around him my entire life and I somehow still don't know who he is. The only thing I know is that he's in his 60s and his name is Jerry. That goes for everyone that works here. They're so fearful of my mother that they keep a distance. That makes it so lonely sometimes because I never have anyone to talk to.

Well, aside from Janet.

Speaking of Janet, I get a glimpse of her entering the dining room so I hurry after her.

She's the only person I have closest to a friend. She's the youngest out of the whole staff, married and has three kids. She's around 40, I'm not really sure, and she's very friendly. Whenever I'm having a bad day and need someone to talk to, she lends me an ear so I've grown close to her.

That doesn't mean she doesn't report to my mother weekly though. That's why I'm always careful with the things I share with her.

Most of the time, I rant about my duties. My love life? Not so much. I would never tell anyone about my stupid crush on this guy that doesn't even know I exist.

"Morning, Austin" she waves at me when I enter the dining room and I smile waving back.

"Hi, morning" I reply going closer to see what she's up to. She's setting the table. Something she only does when people are coming over because I don't like eating here. It's too spacious. I either eat in the kitchen or upstairs in my room.