10.

K. Kendrick
.
.
.
.

The familiar sound coming from the other side of the wall and the loud sound that follows after wake me up from hibernation

I slowly get up with my eyes blurry and my dreads in my face. I'm supposed to be wearing glasses, but you couldn't find me dead in that shit. They make me look ridiculous and I see too much.

Without them on, I can ignore as many people as I want and blame it on my eyesight.

Lenses have been recommended by my doctor, but let's be honest, I ain't about to poke myself in the eyes. Putting them is the freakiest thing I've seen in my life. I don't understand how people put so much effort just to see.

I rub my eyes a bit and stretch my entire body in order to completely get the sleep out of my system and I yawn loudly throwing my head back.

Secondly, I shake my dreads getting them away from face. I tiredly grab my bag from beside my chair and toss my book and pen that somehow found it's way on my table in it. Now I'm ready to leave.

"Had a great sleep, Kendrick?" I hear and I innerly curse when I look up and see my teacher.

Oh shit...

I forgot I was in class...

"Miss James. What's up" I drag trying to lighten the mood but she scoffs, fixes her glasses and crosses her arms.

"Definitely not your grades" she says sarcastically making me shake my head.

She got jokes...

"I wasn't expecting you to join my class today" she says and I nod walking up to her table.

"What are you saying. I'm here every Friday. You don't see me because I like to sit in the back" I tell her.

"To sleep?"

"Yeah...you could say that. I mean I don't be sleeping all the time. Today was just an exception" I shrug trying to escape but she gestures for me to sit in the chair in front of her and I groan inaudibly.

"Exception" she repeats, "so was last week....and the week before that....and the week before that. And I can go on and on."

She can be a headache sometimes. That's why I mostly skip her class. Today I couldn't though because I have practice right after and I didn't sleep much last night so I decided to do it during her class.

I mean, who in their right mind even likes History.

"Do you know why we're having this conversation?"

I cock my head aside looking at the watch on my wrist. "Shit, unless you told me" I say absentmindedly. I can't be late for practice.

"Language" she hits the table giving me a scowl look, "should I get your mother involved?"