3 ➞ time moves fast

three time moves fast

I WAS HANGING OUT with Sam in her house. We were just talking about random stuff.

"I tried to call Miguel the other day," she said, "but he didn't pick up."

I gave her a look. "Don't tell me you're going to try again. Girl, he's not worth it! Just leaving like that." I shook my head angrily.

She chuckled a bit sadly and sighed. "I don't think so." She got up in fighting stance and practiced her moves.

While she was doing that, her phone rang.

I looked at the contact. Miguel.

I laughed. "Miguel's calling you!" I said in a singsong voice before handing the phone to her. "Put it on speaker!"

She picked up the phone. "Miguel?"

"Hey, Sam," Miguel's voice came from the other end of the call.

"Where are you? A-are you okay? I kept calling and-"

"Yeah, look... I just didn't want anyone to know where I was until I found my dad, so..."

"Did you find him?" Sam interrupted. I could tell she was worried.

"Well that's- that's actually why I'm calling right now," Miguel said in a melancholy voice. "The process has been a lot harder than I expected."

Sam's face suddenly turned stern. "That's why you're calling? Your mom is so worried."

He didn't say anything.

"You left without telling anyone where you were going."

"Yeah well... I knew if I told you where I was going you'd try to stop me."

"That's because we care about you..." Sam said sadly. "Miguel, what you're doing is really dangerous. Your mom and grandma left Ecuador to get away from your dad, so they probably did it for a good reason."

"Well I-"

"You're not even gonna ask what happened at the tournament? You knew what it meant for me to face Tory. Not gonna ask if I won, or lost?"

"Sam-how are you making this about you right now?" he asked confusedly.

"I'm not, I- I just thought you'd be in my corner..."

"Okay, and what about my corner? You have no idea! There are more important things than karate, Sam."

"Yeah. There are." And she hung up just like that.

"Why'd you hang up?" I asked her. "Give him a chance to explain, you know he's a good guy."

"Like a minute ago you said that he's not worth it." she chuckled a little.