Chapter 9: Unexpected Encounter

In one of the port cities of Coyote Monarch.

And at the side of a busy street was me sitting at a table outside a cafe with Nathalie at my front.

She was eating a delicious cake that I had ordered for her. I watched her eat by herself, thinking about what I should do next.

Taking a sip of my coffee, I wondered if I should just go back and complete my mission. I hadn't thought much about what I would do in this city before deciding to visit.

As a result, I had to abort my plan of visiting the remaining 6 nations located in the eastern continent of the before-transferred gameworld, and do the mission assigned to me.

"!!!"

Suddenly, a hooded figure ran into me, causing the person to lose balance.

I quickly turned around to see who it was, but I couldn't see their face because of the hood they were wearing.

I got up from my seat to help the person who had fallen.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked, offering my hand to help them up.

The person went silent for a moment as people walked past us in the background.

"Please move aside!" The silence broke when the guards started shouting as they pushed people out of their way, trying to chase someone.

I looked back to see which direction they were headed and it appears that they were heading in this direction.

The hooded person immediately grabbed my hand and pulled me closer, wanting to tell me something that only I could hear.

As soon as the person pulled, the hood covering her head fell back, revealing long white hair. She was a woman, probably a year older than me.

"Help me hide and don't let them catch me," she pleaded as she looked at me with her heterochromatic eyes.

"O-okay," surprised by the sudden request for help, I reluctantly agreed. Without a plan, I led her to the table and sat her next to Nathalie. I asked her to lie down, and she did so obediently.

Then, I took off my overcoat and placed it on top of her, hoping to disguise her as a tired sleeping person. Not a great disguise, but I think it'll do.

"Hello good sir, have you seen a person covered in a hood walk by?" one of the guards said.

"No, I haven't seen anyone matching that description," I lied. "You see, we just arrived in this city and we're quite tired, so we're here seeking to rest for a bit."

"Is that so?" the guard said as he scratched the back of his head. I noticed his glance at the woman who was covered in a coat. "Then please inform us if you see anything," he added.

"Sure."

As my conversation with the guard ended, I breathed a sigh of relief. It seemed that my lie had worked, and we had managed to avoid any further questioning or potential consequences.

As the guards walked away, I couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. I feel like the woman I just saved was far more important to them considering her appearance, but I didn't want to confirm it yet without solid proof or words coming from her. Something about the situation just didn't sit well with me

After the incident, we went inside the cafe to talk undisturbed. We couldn't talk outside, especially since the guards were everywhere, looking for someone important.

"So? Who are you, and why are the guards looking for you?" I asked her, watching as she take a sip at the milk tea I bought on which she insisted.

"Who knows?" she replied, avoiding eye contact.