Chapter 11: A Walk in the Port City

Aboard my ship, I contemplated the strategy that Captain Charles proposed. It was difficult to predict how much damage the Sea Serpent would inflict, especially since we had no previous data to base our calculations on.

One thing was clear, we needed to sink the beast as soon as possible. If we wait for it to get too close, it would eventually ram into our ships and wreak havoc. In fact, it would even be able to sink our ships with ease.

Another concern was that the Sea Serpent was a threat not only for our own territory, but also for the entire world. If the beast were to attack other countries, it would become a major problem.

As I mulled over these issues, I realized that I had never actually seen the Sea Serpent up close. No one had ever captured it alive either, as it was too elusive.

All we knew about the beast was its physical appearance and size. Apart from that, everything else was a mystery.

If I were to venture a guess, I would say that the Sea Serpent looked like a gigantic snake. From what I could see in the internet, it had the body of a serpent with sharp fangs and a long tail. Its scales were as hard as steel, and its body was covered in a thick layer of fat.

I wondered why the beast had chosen to hide in our waters. Perhaps there was a reason we weren't aware of?

Finally, I came to a decision.

"I want to check out the location where we will lure the Sea Serpent in. Would you mind showing me the map?" I asked Captain Charles through the chat system.

"Of course," Captain Charles replied. A minute later, he sent me the coordinates of the island via chat.

I quickly loaded the coordinates in my ship's navigation system. The map showed that the island was located a mere hundred miles away from the port city. It seemed to be a good distance away from the populated areas.

But before that, let's take a little stroll here in the port city. I'm sure Nathalie is getting a little bored with the meeting that ended an hour ago. I could use some company too.

"Hey Nathalie!" I called out to her. She was sitting at the back of my seat, playing with her toys. As she turned around to face me, I continued, "I was just wondering if you're having a good time?"

Nathalie stared back at me, her eyes fixed on mine. Though she couldn't speak yet, her expression seemed to convey a sense of contentment.

"Wanna take a look around the port city?" I asked, beckoning her to come closer with a smile. She didn't respond immediately, but after a few seconds, she walked towards me.

"Let's go," I said, taking her hand and leading her outside the ship's bridge. Once we were out, I guided her towards the port, where we started walking along the harbor.

The port city was bustling with activity. There were people everywhere; sailors loading and unloading cargo, merchants selling goods, street vendors hawking their wares, children running around, and even soldiers guarding the port.

Just like in any other port in the world, the smell of salt water was strong. However, this particular port seemed to have a stronger aroma due to the presence of large vessels docked at the docks.

As we walked, I noticed the different types of ships docked along, each one of them is Coyote Monarch's warships. There were also several cargo vessels, passenger vessels, fishing boats, and other smaller ships. The port also housed a small market where we could buy food or souvenirs.

I decided to stop by one of the stalls.

While I browsed through the various items available, I heard a familiar voice calling me.

It was Elise. She was standing behind me, smiling brightly.

"Oh, hey Elise," I said, turning around to greet her. "What are you doing here?"

"Nothing much. Just enjoying the sights. You seem to be busy," Elise said, pointing towards the stall I was browsing through.

I smiled and said, "Yeah, there's not much to do aboard the ship, so I figured I'd take a walk with Nathalie," pointing to her.

Elise looked at Nathalie for a second, then back at me. "That's nice to hear," she said, patting Nathalie gently on the head.

I glanced at the stall again. Most of the things sold there were made in wood carvings. Some of the stuff was quite interesting, like a miniature replica of a battleship.

"Are you interested in buying something?" Elise asked.

"No thanks. I don't really need anything," I said, shaking my head.

"Ah well, it's up to you," Elise said. "Anyway, I'll leave you to your business. See you later!" she said, waving goodbye.

I watched as she walked away. Before long, she disappeared from my sight completely.

"She's gone..." I muttered softly.

I turned to look at Nathalie, who was staring at me. Her eyes shone with curiosity. I smiled at her, then took her hand again and continued to walk.

After a while, we reached the end of the road. We stopped at the edge of the pier, where we gazed out at the ocean.

The sky was filled with clouds, which added some color to the blue sea. I leaned against the railing and looked out at the horizon.

Although there were no ships in this area, I could still hear the sound of waves crashing against the pier.

I savored the calming and serene sounds of the sea, finding comfort in the rhythm of the waves. The salty breeze carried the scent of the water to my nose, reminding me of the lazy days I spent on the beach.

As my thoughts drifted to the upcoming battle, a sudden urge to escape the harsh reality swept over me. Maybe we should stop at a resort, I mused, rather than going straight to the island. A day or two of rest and relaxation could be just what we need to face the challenges ahead.

The prospect of facing a monster filled me with unease. If things went south, I knew it would be far from a pleasant experience. Victory would be a sweet reward for our efforts, but I knew that the road ahead would be treacherous.

My mind wandered further into thought, and I suddenly snapped back to reality.

"Nathalie, are you feeling tired?" I asked as I knelt down to face her.

"..."

She didn't respond, and I could see that her eyelids were drooping.

"Would you like to go back to the ship now? It's been a long day," I suggested.

In response, she walked over to me and wrapped her arms around my neck.

I smiled at her. "Alright then, let's head back," I said, lifting her up and carrying her towards the ship.