Illumi x Fem!Reader x Hisoka

You woke up to thunder. It wouldn't be the first time you woke up to something unpleasant. Lightning flashed across the night sky and for a moment it caught your shadow across the marble floor. The wind screamed as it thrashed its way through the open doors and sent them repeatedly ricocheting against the walls. Already worsening the headache pounding in your head. Your vision was blurry, and yet you were still able to make out the pair of wet footprints leading into the home from the outside. Your breath caught inside your chest.

The storm brought more than just the rain.

The mansion was eerily quiet and still as you hesitantly rose to your feet. You don't know how you wound up unconscious on the floor. The last you remembered was picking flowers in the garden if anything to break the monotony out of your routine. That was in the early afternoon, now it is night. You went to close the door and in the distance you saw your basket tumbling back and forth in the grass. Flowers destroyed from the storm. Or from something far worse. The door locked with a click, but you already feared that what should have stayed outside has already made its way in. The choice to run into the uncertainty of the unknown or lock oneself in with monsters crossed your mind. But not for long. You've dealt with monsters before, and you survived.

You traveled down the corridors in darkness, only guided by the light of the moon and stars peeking through the heavy clouds. Thunder would sporadically break the stillness of night, reminding you that this is not a dream. This is real and you have every reason to be afraid.

You pushed the door open to your husband's study and made your way to his desk—only to bolt back against the wall when you saw his eyes stare blankly ahead at nothingness, mouth open wide without words to say, and blood dripping down his face from a single needle lodged in his forehead.

Someone killed him. You knew he was paranoid of someone taking his life, but God, you were surprised it actually happened. He made you believe that there was no monster worse than him that existed in the world and he thrived off the fear he squeezed out of you from it. You walked closer towards the corpse of your husband as the entirety of your marriage played from beginning to end in your mind. The beginning of when you shakily said I do , the middle made of halfhearted vows he had had no intention to keep, and now you were standing in front of the ending—you spat in his face. Good riddance.

For a moment, you wished to thank the monster that did what you never have the courage to do yourself.

"Hello there, my little mouse."

Fuck that. Run.

You bolted from the desk and ran towards the door, but the man blocked the exit and stood between you and freedom. His heels clicked against the floor as he walked towards you. With a hand on his hip and another on a card that was covered with blood. He was waving it at you, enjoying the thrill of making you walk backwards for him. Snickering as he began toying with you.

"Oh my. We weren't expecting you to wake up this early. You should have slept longer. Though, I suppose one can say that will all be amended soon enough. My friend was so sure you'd stay unconscious. It is delightful that even he can be wrong at times." The man laughed under his breath. "Thank you, now he'll be getting a mouthful from me. Not that he doesn't deserve it, or secretly yearns for it." He walked and took another step towards you. You took twice as many back. He laughed as you tripped over the body of one of your husband's many guards. He extended his hand to help you up. "Here, allow me. A gentleman should always extend a helping hand to a lady in need."

"Don't touch me."

The man with the red hair retracted his hand all while the smile on his face grew with ravenous hunger. You've seen that look too many times before. You couldn't stand it. "Such a feisty little mouse."