|16| l a y s

I don't know what it is, but there's this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach, making me squirm uncomfortably as I sit on the edge of the fountain, and glance around cautiously for the rest of the gang whom haven't arrived yet. It's probably either anxiousness or nervousness... or maybe both that's causing cold sweat to rapidly form on my forehead and trickle down my face which I had to wipe down with the back of my hand every after 0.2 seconds. Even the serene rhythm of water that continues to sprout out of the small tubes, didn't help to calm my nerves.

My bottom lip is already sore from all my constant biting and pursing; something I usually do out of nervousness and stress. The fact that we (Lily, Kayla and I) actually made it first only added to my agony.

Back in Lily's car, they both admitted or more of blabbered out the truth on why they wanted to get here first. And the answer? They made a bet with the rest, that whoever comes first will get to choose the sitting arrangement and movie.

So I wouldn't be surprised if I would end up in the middle of... Ugh I don't even wanna think about it. It's not actually the fact that I would be in the middle, but what I am worried about is how I would act. Since Lily and Kayla had always been giving malicious meaning to my actions and made a point to prove it to me, or mention it once in a while and that being the case, I ended up being extremely conscious.

Questions like: Do I blush? Do I really scoot closer? Do I really smile giddily and laugh as if I am a love sick poppy? Kept flooding my mind. Suddenly I became so aware of my actions and so conscious about it, that I'm nervous that they (the rest but mostly Austin and Patrick) will notice and be completely curious on why Lily and Kayla's giving me knowing glances and smirks.

What if they assume that I like one of them—which is definitely not true—and things get awkward? That's something I couldn't take and handle, especially that I know they wouldn't reciprocate it if ever... if ever they learned what are my "feelings". Not that I like them of course, but they'd assume otherwise since Lily and Kayla are both too deaf to hear the truth that I don't like Patrick nor Austin. Ugh.

I abruptly lift up my head to look at Kayla who plopped down beside me here on the fountain. She gave me a tight grin and thrust out a small Twix bar that she pulled out from her white purse. "Chill girl. You look like you're 'bout to pass out."

I ran my hands over my face wearily and tipped my head back to look at the mall's high ceilings. I let out a puff of air that blew some stray strands of hair, off my face before sitting up straight and looking at my right, where Kayla's seated and took the Twix bar from her hand. "It's just...I know you guys want me to have a love life and your intentions are all good but... you know? I just don't want to get embarrassed and to make things... awkward."

Her expression changed from neutral to thoughtful and a long silence came before she finally spoke up. "Hey," she mumbled, poking my arm softly. "I'm sorry. It's just that... we want you to be happy too. To have a boyfriend again." She smiled at me, her eyes warm and apologetic, peeking at me through her lashes, making a smile of my own etch its way to my lips.

"Thanks, I totally get you guys but it would mean a lot to me if you would be not obvious of your fangirling tendencies. I mean if I ever get a boyfriend, you and Lily would be the first ones to know." I gave her a playful smile and wiggled my eyebrows as I slowly unwrapped the Twix bar and took a swift bite.

She chuckled and threw her head back a little, tucking some of her black hair behind her ear. "But I would prefer it if it's Austin—oh! Oops! Okay, I'd stop now," she muttered impishly, wiggling her eyebrows back at me.