|36| s a l t

The days rolled past by us in a blur, and soon enough, it was already December. Mugs of hot chocolate and talks about what to do during Winter vacation passed around every student. Everybody seemed so hyped-up about the idea of taking a break after a very stressful school-week. And finally, we were down to the last day of school before the great cold vacation.

Lily, Kayla and I were in the school's library, deciding to spend the rest of our free period on random books that got our attention. We were bundled together at the corner table of the room, partially hidden away from Mrs. Morris' view. From the way she kept sending me dirty looks and unamused stares, she still obviously haven't moved on from what happened the last time I was here.

If I was being completely honest, though. It was still very funny until now to me.

"I swear, she wants to hit your head with a hardbound Calculus book, too," Lily said, giggling to herself as she leaned in closer to me.

I gave her a dry look, pushing her shoulder away from me, making her frown. "It was an accident! I didn't mean to. Besides, it was Austin who hit the book with another book. I told you guys this story about a hundred times already."

"Technically, you threw the book first."

"I didn't!" I raised both of my hands defensively. "It slipped from our hands, then it flew and then, Austin thought that it would be nice to hit it with another book - which obviously wasn't a very good idea after all - and then, the next thing we saw, the book was already flying in Mrs. Morris' direction."

"You guys are idiots," Kayla said, laughing silently in her seat. I whipped my head toward her direction, actually startled that she said something. For the past few months, she was nothing, but quiet. Only giving a few yes or no's from time to time. So it really made me happy that she was finally talking much more, just like she used to before her parents' divorce. I sent her a small smile, and she sent a bigger one in return.

"Speaking of idiot, where's Austin? I haven't seen him all day," Lily asked, absentmindedly flicking through some Times Almanac book that she found. Her face crinkled in disgust when she saw a woman with really long nails, and shut the book close.

"Um... I don't know?" I shrugged, pursing my lips.

"You don't know?" Lily blinked at me, her eyes searching my face for a hint of joke.

"I really don't know. It's not like I ask him where he's at all the time and vice versa."

She exchanged a swift look with Kayla who shrugged, before looking back at me. Bewilderment written on her face as her brows furrowed together. "Isn't that what couples do?"

Couples. I groaned out loud upon hearing that dreadful word that escaped Lily's lips. It had been almost two months since I last acted so casually around Austin. Especially, after that question about his ex-girlfriend. Since then, I always felt uncomfortable around him when people ask about our status. Not knowing how to act and what to say whenever the term label stumbles upon us.

Stupidly brave. That's how I would describe myself as of that specific moment. I was obviously and dumbly brave enough to ask Austin about his ex, yet I wasn't strong enough to accept the reality that he loved her. That they were, in fact, truly together at some point in the past and Austin hasn't yet clarified to me, what we really were.

Were we together? Boyfriend, girlfriend? Dating? Or just friends. It was bugging me big time. And the knowledge that he gave up both the debate and basketball team for her, only made me insecure. Resulting to a very confused and uncomfortable Anna.