|35| c o o k i e

"Thank you for going out with me today. I know it was a little spontaneous, and it flatters me a lot that you still came," I said, beaming at Austin who was seated in front of me.

We were seated right across each other. A wooden table separating us, where two mugs of steaming hot coffee was placed and two plates of red velvet cupcakes.

I actually planned on going with the original plan. Which was to go to a local diner to stuff our faces with burgers and fries. But, Austin insisted that we should go to some place where the environment was a little more relaxing compared to the buzzling diner, a block down.

He was right though. This coffee shop was exactly the definition of relaxing. In fact, Mug of Beans' red velvet cupcakes were a lot better than the last one we tasted.

The interior of the shop was pretty and very cozy too. It has beige walls where abstract paintings were hung, wooden ceilings with artistic chandeliers, wooden windows and tables. The floors were wooden too. What I loved most about it was the chairs. Every chair has its own personality. From a plain wooden chair where Austin chose to sit in to a pink, feathery, cushioned one like mine.

There were also wooden bookshelves standing tall at every corner, storing the best books of all times. The best part about this place though, was the enticing smell of coffee lingering in the air. As embarrassing as it may sound, I actually sniffed the air more than ten times, already. It was indeed a slice of heaven. And I couldn't ask for anything more.

When I called Austin earlier, I actually didn't expect him to drop his homeworks and go out with me, instead. Granted that I really hoped he'd go out with me, I still knew that I've been nothing, but a bundle of complete sadness for the past few days. So, it was much of a relief and a shocker at the same time to know that he still wanted to go on a date with someone who was as grumpy as me.

The moment he said "yeah, of course.", so casually made a strong force of excitement, relief and joy surge through me. I realized how lucky I was to have him. He has been nothing but understanding for the past few days, even if I always neglected the fact that he get hurt too every time I don't act the same.

And the fact that he was sitting in front of me now with a charming grin on his face, I couldn't help but feel more lucky than I already was.

"Psh. Of course, I'd go on a date with you. Though, grumpy Anna looks sexy, I still prefer the quirky one."

My eyes widened and I let out a long chuckle. "Sexy? Austin, sexy and I don't match."

He rolled his eyes, slumping against his seat. "You don't know that. You don't check out yourself everyday. In fact, I don't think you ever do."

"So, you check me out every day, huh?" I teased, wiggling my eyebrows playfully. He rolled his eyes and his lips thinned, but the amusement was written all over his face, and his pink ears were a dead giveaway. I laughed, causing him to blush.

I missed this. I missed those days when we'd tease each other to no end. Those days when I was always a big ball of sunshine and no amount of disappointment could bring me down. I missed the times when I'd laugh the simple problems off. Now, I was such a mess.

The school paper. It took a toll on me.

Ever since I was a kid, it has always been my dream. My whole high shool was focused on it. I planned my articles and even planned how my celebratory party would go once I got accepted. Now, I lost it. I lost it all.

It made me feel so bad - terrible in fact. I was working my butt off to get in, but every time I tried, a wall would block my way and push me back. Before, I'd always say that, hey it's okay. There's next time. Now, that I knew there wouldn't be a next time. It pained me.