|23| a p p l e

"That kid, Mark! I swear I've never seen an eight year old kid, eat that much pie! He freakin' ate the whole thing within nanoseconds!" Stephen's voice boomed throughout the moving bus, causing laughter to erupt and to fill the space in cheeriness.

Chuckling and shaking my head, I let out a small sigh and looked out the window. It's already afternoon, showing from the skies that's stretched above us. Gleaming in an orange-y light.

I actually thought that this day would turn out badly - as expected. But what surprised me is the fact that it didn't come out that bad. It was all in my mind, it was just me; believing everything would turn out bad just because of a few things that gone wrong.

Though this day isn't peachy nor it is Disney-like. Minus all the song numbers and dance moves of course... It's still an amazing day.

A day filled with discoveries, surprises and heart-thudding experiences.

After a few parlor games, speeches from Mrs. Harris and Maria, who thanked us for our 'delicious' pastries; Mrs. Harris decided that it was time to go home. Or more of like, head back to school. The way the kids cried their hearts out in anxiety of being separated with us, sent me in the verge of tears too. Along with Lily and most of the girls who puckered out their lips and cooed the kids in promises that we'd all see each other again - a gesture that made the boys roll their eyes and groan.

I bit on my lower lip and raised my arm to look at the small red apple in my hand. Letting my fingers brush softly against its smooth surface, I shook my head in amusement. Remembering who gave it to me. It was from Sophie. She pulled it out from her small pink lunchbox and handed it to me, after playing Mommy, Daddy and Baby. Saying that my face was of the same color with an apple after Austin kissed my cheek, so it's just right that I bring home her apple.

My lips tugged slightly upwards as a smile threatened to appear. It's probably because Sophie's funny or maybe just because, Austin kissed my cheek. My crush kissed my cheek!

I mentally punched myself for being so giddy about a kiss on my cheek. Though it lasted around five seconds if I would think of it, it's still a kiss on the cheek. No meaning—just platonic.

But to me, it was more than that. It sparked the teeny, tiny hope in my heart that maybe, just maybe, Austin can see me more than the desperate girl who annoy him to death just to get a spot on the school paper.

Maybe, just maybe.

Shaking off my thoughts, I sighed and threw the apple into my bag. Slightly wincing when I remembered that it's a fruit and could turn inedible when thrown harshly. Oh well. What's done is done.

Feeling bored and tired, I let my eyes dart towards Austin. Too bad he's not next to me anymore but next to Tori instead (he said that Lily can have his seat). Laughing lightly as he shook his head in amusement to whatever she said. I can't help the pang that I felt, spreading throughout my chest. Like venom, poisonous and harmful at the same time.

I know I have no right to feel jealous towards Tori because I'm not dating Austin and especially after she told me on the day we went out for coffee, how much she loves her boyfriend Finn, who's studying at a private school nearby. She said that Finn is the best boyfriend in the world and she can never ask for more.

But I can't help it. I can't stop being irrational, emotional and just plain-out ridiculous even after knowing how much Tori is in love with her guy.

"One day Anna, when you meet someone who makes you better, don't ever let go of that person." Was her own words with a dreamy sigh at the end. I even chuckled at that, knowing that I won't meet that someone soon. Besides, Austin and Patrick are both my dilemma right now. Adding another guy into the picture will only make things worse.